Is a core duo macbook a good trade?...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Marshin, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Marshin macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if it were a good deal to trade my IBM thinkpad z61t for a 2006 black macbook.

IBM thinkpad z61t specs:
    Intel core duo 2ghz
    4 gigs of ram
    80gb hard drive
    windows 7

2006 black macbook:
    Intel core duo 2ghz
    1 gig of ram
    320 gb hard drive
    mac os x 10.6 I think (might be 10.5)

Just wondering if this is a good trade, I'd be using the macbook for recording purposes, web design, etc. I'd probably upgrade the ram to 2 gigs (that's the max for 06 macbooks I think) from OWC.

thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think I'd say no. You won't go far with 1GB RAM, others here will know what that mac can be upgraded to, but I'd hold fire if I were you and wait for more replies.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

4. Marshin thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for the advice, I don't think I'll do the trade.

5. cheeryble macrumors regular

Think again
    You can put in 2gb ram easily which is enough.
    I am just having my 5 1/2 yo Blackbook repaired it is still a very good computer for all but highly taxing purposes.

Cheeryble

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'd go for the macbook. Mine is a Core Duo with 2gb of RAM and leaves a laptop running Windows 7 with 4Gb of RAM dead in the water for speed.

8. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I agree. I had a core duo Macbook up until earlier this year and it was working well with most things apart from high def video which would cause the fans to spin up. Also the battery will probably be a bit worse for wear but no worse than any other 5 year old laptop.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I should probably clarify, it left the machine dead in the water for daily tasks, nothing intensive i.e. video encoding, etc.

10. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

11. gpat macrumors 6502a

12. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What I don't get is why people said don't do the trade, other than the RAM, it looks like you made it up with Hard drive space. I say in this case, if the MacBook is in good condition, go for the trade....BUT if it is beaten up, it is NOT WORTH it.

14. BL4zD macrumors 6502

As much as I would love to say it's a good trade it's not and here's why:

First thing to notice is the IBM has 4gigs of RAM.
    One should question how the IBM listed with a Core Duo processor can have 4 gigs of RAM installed whereas the BlackBook, with the same processor, can not.

The answer is that the IBM is being incorrectly listed as a Core Duo when in fact it is a Core 2 Duo.

The IBM processor can do 64bit, whereas the early Core Duo BlackBook can not. This means the BlackBook can not use, or even have installed, more than 2gigs of RAM. It also means it can not use, or even have installed, Lion...ever. Snow Leopard, in 32bit mode, is the highest it can use.

There is one caveat to my opinion. Given that the IBM is being incorrectly described as having a Core Duo it's possible the BlackBook is also being incorrectly described.

Click on the little apple in the top left of the screen.
    Click About This Mac
    It's been a while since I've used Snow Leopard so it might say on that screen either "MacBook 13-inch, Early 2006" If it does, it has the Core Duo and you can say thank you but no thank you to the IBM owner. If it says "MacBook 13-inch, Late 2006" then you can turn politely to the IBM owner and shake his or her hand and calmly close the clamshell, pick the rest of the cables up, then run screaming out of the room wildly waving your wonderful BlackBook in the air while screaming wooohoooo!

You might need to click on "More info" and read the next screen. You're looking for "Model Identifier" and if that is followed by MacBook 1,1 that's a red light for the trade. If it says Macbook 2,1 you have a green light for the trade.

I hope that helps.