Is a cover needed for the iPhone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by wayland1985, Jan 7, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I have just upgraded from the original iPhone to the 3g. I used to carry my original iphone around in my pant pocket (dedicated to my iphone and iphone only), without a case. I probably dropped it 3 times onto concrete over a year, with no ill-affects.

Now the old iPhone was aluminum, and this is plastic. The glass on the old iphone was pretty much great. There were a few scratches, but nothing severe.

I don't want a big bulky case. I love the iPhone's size, and i think most cases out there take away from that...

So is this iphone 3g as durable as the original? Or should I be looking at a film-cover for it???

2. Volka macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing. My (1st gen) iPod touch has never been without a screen protector and soft case since I bought it, but my new iPhone 3g has spent its first day 'naked' as I couldn't wait to use it.

I've heard that the glass is very scratch-resistant and the plastic back doesn't really scratch either (unlike the aluminium of the touch and 2g iPhone).

3. calvy macrumors 65816

Do yourself a favor, go to the apple store and pick up a crystal screen protector. I know, they say the screen is tough, and really hard to scratch. They say that. And I believed it. I never protected the screen on my 1st gen iphone, and it stayed ok. But my 3G got a scratch on it from being in my pocket with some unknown object, and I decided to try one of these screen protectors. You can not even tell it's on there. I regret not trying these things from day one. So I say put one on while your screen is still nice and new.

And as far as a case, I only use one when I'm doing things like working out, riding my bike, or other things where it's possible I might drop the phone. Otherwise, I keep the iphone in my jeans pocket and try to keep it alone in it's on pocket.

The plastic backing is pretty easy to scratch though, so if you don't mind the extra size you get with a case of any kind, then it's not a bad thing to have one all the time. I just can't spare the space.

4. ukmacpro macrumors member

I do recommend having a screen protector, I don't have anything other than that. But I don't usually keep it in the same pocket with anything like loose change or my keys, so the chances of it getting scratched are pretty low.

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Get the screen protector for sure. You can never be too safe.

6. ghoztman macrumors regular

Devices need a little road-rash. :D

I can't be bothered with little bags and fumbling exosheeths. Keep it in your pocket without keys, coins or other sharp objects and it will be OK.

I guess it depends on how careful you are with it. I find the 3g iphone to be tough and resistant. I have dropped it, left it open to abuse in the pocket, accidentally flung it across the desk and it still looks like the day I bought it.

I say no jacket required.

7. iBrody macrumors 6502

I bought my 3G on release day and had a Griffin Elan case on it for 2 weeks which ruined the chrome bezel more that protect it!

I now only use a crystal screen protecter on the front and the rest is naked, and like another poster mentioned, I use a dedicated trouser pocket to carry it in.

The plastic has slight wear or surface scratches but nothing major.

IMO, the phone looks like a brick with any protective casing and if you have adequate insurance cover, then there won't be a problem if you drop it.

8. Volka macrumors newbie

I decided to get a screen protector in the end, but still don't have a case. Unfortunately it's too chunky to fit in my old iPod touch soft case. I think I'll just keep it in a separate pocket like others are saying. What do I do with the headphones though?