Is a family plan cheaper with respect to the iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unagimiyagi, Aug 9, 2010.

1. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Hello,

If I want 2 iphones, will getting the cheapest family plan be cheaper than buying two individual lines?

I actually do not care about the voice minutes. We'd use about 450 a month combined at most.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No, you'd still have to pay at most $50 per each phone. I have my iPhone 4 on a family plan, doesn't save you money whatsoever.

3. iHalo macrumors regular

My family has a family plan for 5 iPhones. I believe this is how it breaks down.

$30 a month for data per phone (unlimited)
    $30 a month for unlimited texting on ALL PHONES ($6 per phone)
    $10 a month for each additional line.

Then we have one phone with the minutes and stuff.

4. unagimiyagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, thanks. On the AT&T site, I kept pricing family plans for the iphone and did not think that I was saving any money.

Question: if I got the Palm Pre or an Android phone on a family plan, then would I be saving money? Is the iphone more expensive than other smartphones on AT&T? One AT&T store guy said no, all smartphones are priced the same, but I never believe store reps.

5. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

you do save money, but mostly on the voice plan, not really the data. Texting is a bit cheaper as well. Nothing major though.

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

All smartphones are the same. The unlimited texting for families is $30, no matter what phone you use. Any smartphone will need a $15 or $25 data plan, dumb phones are cheaper data wise.

7. Stngray macrumors member

If I combine my gfs line and my own into a family plan, will we be able to keep unlimited data?

8. spotz770 macrumors newbie

yes...I just did this.

instead of 39.99 each, it's 59.99 for the two of us.

I kept my unlimited with my upgrade and family plan conversion.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It is cheaper. You can get 550 combined minutes for $59.99. Add in two 2gb data plans at $25/each, and you are at $110/month. The cheapest individual plan is $39.99/month for 450 minutes. Two of those plans, plus your data is $130/month. Yeah, you get more minutes, but if you are like us, and won't even use the 550 minutes, what's the point? If you want to add unlimited messaging, you save another $10/month as you pay $30 on the family plan compared to $20/each on the individual plans.

I don't see what's so hard about this - it seems pretty clear on AT&T's web site.