Is a foreign adapter frying my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesdunn310, Dec 11, 2012.

  1. jamesdunn310 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #1
    Hey all. I'm an American currently in Namibia. I have a Macbook Pro unibody, with I think OS X 10.6.1. I bought a converter which I plug my Magsafe into so I can access the round two-pin wall jacks they use out here.

    Since then, three things have happened. My MBP gets way hotter than it ever did. I get small electric shocks regularly - never happened in America. And last week I got the grey question-mark folder of death when I tried to log on. An OS reinstall got my laptop working... for a day, then it died again.

    Consensus is, the hard drive died, or the HDD cable. Getting it fixed seems straightforward enough, but I don't want to get it fixed just so it can happen again. Do you guys think an overload of power might have caused this? If so, what can I do about it?


    Thanks in advance...
     
  2. justperry macrumors 604

    justperry

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    Location:
    In the core of a black hole.
    #2
    No, and the reason why is that your Power Adapter which came with your machine can be used all around the world.
    They can take any Voltage from about ~100 to 240 Volts.

    The adapter you have is a normal converter I guess, it is just converting the pins to different pins?

    What can sometimes be a problem are spikes on the Power, many times it isn't that reliable in countries like these.
    I myself am in Indonesia and sometimes there are similar problems here.

    Edit: The electrical shocks won't kill you, it's common in countries where there wire which should be 0 Volts is not connected to the ground and it is not 0 Volts, I have the same here, and although it is not dangerous it can be annoying.
     
  3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #3
    I've used converters on all my stuff since moving to Europe in 2005
     
  4. jamesdunn310 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #4
    hey there, thanks for your reply.

    I didn't think the shocks were dangerous to me. It just all seems like common sense - the laptop's extremely hot, I'm getting shocks, then the hard drive dies. As hot as the laptop has been, it's hard to imagine how the hard drive could survive it.

    I forgot to mention when I reinstalled the OS, the MBP gives me the Service Battery notification when I click on battery status.
     
  5. justperry macrumors 604

    justperry

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    Location:
    In the core of a black hole.
    #5
    You know, you are probably in a very hot climate, it is normal a laptop is hotter when the outside temperature is about 10-20 degrees Celsius more than where you normally live.
    Tip, I bought a small fan, if you are mostly in one place buy a cheap(chinese) 4"-10cm fan and put it next to the laptop pointing towards the keyboard, it makes it much cooler.

    If you are staying there for a long time and in the same place you should think about grounding the 0 Volt wire.
     

Share This Page