Is a "home/base" computer necessary for using iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kopisusu, Jun 23, 2010.

1. kopisusu macrumors newbie

I plan to buy an iPad and am not familiar with the iOS. Can someone please help?

I will use the iPad mainly for reading and some light productivity work, requiring Numbers and Pages. Can I buy and install those softwares directly using iPad, i.e. not using a separate 'home-base' computer?

It says on the website that while buying an iPad, a mac with OS 10.5.8 or later is required. What is it for?

I already own an iBook G4 with OS 10.4.11 and an older iMac G5 using (I think) OS 10.3. Does this mean that I am not able to buy and install new apps using my current computers? Do I need to buy a new mac in addition to iPad?

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The iPad has to sync to iTunes at least once before you can use it. Until you do, it will only display the "connect to iTunes" screen.

However, once you've done that once, the iPad is fully functional on its own. You could in theory never connect it to a computer again.

3. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Well, actually it's not.
    When I got my iPad, they activated it in store with one of their MacBook's.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

True, save for the odd firmware update.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You aren't going to be able to print. You would have to email the files to yourself and deal with it that way.

I have to sync my iPad to my kids Mac mini because I can't get around to upgrading to 10.5/10.6. I will hopefully get it scheduled in the coming few weeks.

While doable without a computer, it sure does help. Can you upgrade either machine to 10.5?