Is a late MBP 13 for 950 a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fleawannabe, Apr 23, 2012.

1. fleawannabe macrumors regular

I kind of want to wait and see the new look of the upcoming MBP 15 but to be honest the 13 will meet my needs. I found a base 13 that is still under warranty until January of 2015 for 950.00, this to me seems like a great deal because for me to buy this new with the Apple Care would cost me 1300.00. What would you do in my case?

Thank you.

(Late 2011 MBP 13)

2. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Can you wait? Do you need it now? These two questions will answer your thread.

3. pat park macrumors 6502a

The general consensus is a refresh is very close. We have no real idea, but new re designs sould be coming soon.

I have a late 2011 MBP 13" and I love it. It does everything I need very well. If you're not concerned with having the latest specs, get it now. But if you can wait, it may be worth it as the newer designs are rumored to be thinner, faster, better ;)

:apple:

4. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

I can wait but I am leaning more towards the 13 now mainly because the price difference and it is enough computer for me, all I do is everyday stuff and some logic, maybe some light photo editing for fun. The 13s wont be out until June and from what I have read about the rumors I may like the older models more. My main question is, is this price a earth shattering deal or will I see it again if wait it out?

5. Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

Yes that is an amazing deal, at least for me in Canada. For the Oct 2011 model, I payed $1149 on sale for $100 off plus a $100 student discount off my Apple care from bestbuy all in costing me around $1500. As for the model you looking at a good 2-3 months before a refresh. It will be updated with better specs as usual, but 1. Ivy bridge from what I've read will not make much of a difference in things such as games and video editing. It will only really improve handling applications. 2. Do you need an optical drive in it? If so you might want to get the current model due to the fact of a rumour stating that the next MBP will ditch the optical drive for a thinner design. Personally it is thin enough for my needs and I REALLY need that optical drive. So it's your choice. Btw the 13.3in is a absolutely perfect size for me :). Best of luck dude.

6. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Very good answer but Ivy Bridge will give a 40 increase in games alone since the standard integrated gpu will be bumped to the new HD4000. This will be useful for both using Photoshop CS5/6 which configures the gpu to improve performance.

It's one of them things where no one can really answer for you, its an amazing machine already and if you can handle getting the current generation, then go for it. Some people say, there will always be a newer machine so just buy now and be happy. I think they are wrong when an expected refresh is very close (next three months). Like I said, if you want the latest and greatest, wait. If you want to snag this REALLY good deal and you won't be unhappy when the newer machine comes out, then just buy it now. No matter what, you'll be buying a great machine which I think can handle most of the things you're looking to do, on it perfectly.

7. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies. I do not need the optical bay but I do like having the option to put a ssd inside of it. I believe I will pick this up. Thanks again.