Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
For my work, I have a 38" ultrawide connected to a 2017 13" macbook pro

I'm typically running 10-15 apps at once, Pages, Numbers, Mail, Devonthink, Photos, messages, calendar, etc, and I have several safari windows open. My desktop window has most of those running so I can see and use them all together, dragging between apps, etc.

There is a fair amount of slowdown at times even though I don't really use many cpu intensive apps. I don't remember my older 15" Macbook pro having as much lag. The old 15" was quad core and 16 gigs ram, the new 13" is 2-core and 8 gigs ram

I can justify the price of a Mac Pro or a new Macbook Pro 15" if I can remove the slowdowns but am wondering what exactly is overkill.

Forget the laptop vs desktop debate (I already have the two laptops I use for travel), what would you recommend and how much RAM would make sense?

Should I look at an iMac instead?

No video editing, I may get into Sketchup a bit and that would be the most CPU intensive software I'd be using.

Last edited:

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I think RAM is your bottleneck. None of the apps you listed are particularly CPU or GPU intensive (which would be the main reason to go with a Mac Pro). I was in a similar boat with my prior 2010 and 2013 MBPs--they had 8GB of RAM. My current 2015 15" MBP (which is my daily driver) has 16GB and it's much better.

If you want a desktop then you might wait until Apple unveils a new Mac Mini at the end of this month. Or go with the 5K iMac, which you can add RAM to after purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.