Is a Mac right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rockstar24340, Aug 1, 2007.

1. rockstar24340 macrumors newbie

After reading the title of the thread I'm sure some of you have already convinced yourself that you're going to come in here and tell me that of course OS X will work for me because of how dumb Windows is. Honestly, I don't blame you, but there are a few more things to be considered. I thought about switching to an Apple (specifically a MacBook) last July before I bought my current notebook (a Dell Inspiron E1505), but at the time they were having quality issues with the staining and such on the casing of the MacBooks. Needless to say I went against my better judgment and went with a Dell since my college gets an extensive discount from Dell. Right now Windows has been irking me by randomnly shutting down explorer. Pretty much I'll be browsing through my music folder (including my iTunes folder) and it'll just pop up that "explorer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down". Overall, I hate the stupid thing; however, I feel as if I am tied to Windows for good. I know I could run BootCamp or something like that, but I was wondering if someone in the "real" world uses or know anyone that uses a Mac that is a Certified Public Accountant or some other business related field. I am a double-major in Accounting and Economics at my school so there is a lot of Windows only software that I'm such to encounter once I enter the workplace (I know Excel also works on a Mac, but there are other accounting programs that I'll need). So yeah, I know it's possible, but is it "appropriate" to use a Mac in a business degree? Any help you can give will be considered.

Thanks,
    rockstar

P.S. I am fairly confident in OS X as my girlfriend has a MacBook (which I convinced her to get) so I really don't need to know the positive and negatives of the operating system.

2. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Yeah.....a Mac *could* be right for you. Years ago it might have been an issue but today it is a moot point.

I switched about a year ago and I have never looked back. Any Windows apps. I want or need to run I do so via Parallels. Funny thing....as more time goes by, the less I use Parallels and the more I use Mac specific apps. For instance, I migrated from Lotus Organizer (Windows) to Calendar (Mac) and Address Book (Mac).

BTW....I'm not an accountant but I am self-employed.

3. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

As a recent switcher and former hard-core PC user, I would say that a Mac for your main machine isn't a good idea.

There are alot of proprietary accountaing programs that won't work in OSX. My dad is a lender and uses a few programs that are Windows only. I can only imagine the programs an accountant would use that are windows only.

My brother is also a structural engineer, and he has alot of small distribution, expensive proprietary programs that are Windows only also.

And, my inlaws and wife own a few large storage unit facilities, and all the software that runs the billing and the connectivity between the storage sites (a few across the state) is all custom windows only software.

So I get what you're saying. It's not an even playing field, Mac and OSX. For big stuff like Adobe and Office, sure, you can cross platform or use a Virtual machine or bootcamp. But when your whole business relies on Windows only stuff, I see no advantage to buying a mac and running bootcamp.

Unless you are certain you can use the programs you want on a Mac, I would hold off. Yes, you could run VMWare or Bootcamp, but if you're going to be in windows all day, you don't want to be in a virtual environment, and why spend the money to just run bootcamp?

If I were you, and you want to have a Mac, I'd get the low-end macbook and run your work programs through VMware at night and on the weekends, but for your "day job", stick to the PC.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Are you going to be using your own computer for work when you graduate? If not, you still have the same two choices, but perhaps with a different light shining on them:

1. With a PC you'll get more practice at home for what you'll be doing at work.

2. With a Mac, you'll have a descent computing experience, despite what happens at work. :D

For me, it would come down to how good I was with software. I'm the kind of person that can switch back and forth between platforms with ease. I can open up most any application and work my way through what I want to do. So for me, I'd go with a Mac because I don't feel I'd need the practice.

5. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

My advice would be if you're finding yourself using windows-only software all the time stick to a PC. If not, go Mac. Are you planning on using your personal computer for work use when you graduate? I don't know much about the accounting business, but my guess would be they supply you with a machine. And the plus side is, when you come home you wont feel like you have to finish up that one project you put off all day ;)

allison.

6. rockstar24340 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so, I'm still kind of debating it. I know it'll be another two years (around about) before I enter the workplace full time (this excludes internships), so I'm sure I could handle using a Mac for the few programs that I have to run in my few years left of college. Now, I've got to decide whether or not I would be better of just buying a new one straight out or doing a little business with my sister. If I buy new I'll end up waiting until next summer and buying an iMac because I just bought my current laptop last summer (I would also get Leopard and the possible new re-design. :)) My sister has offered to give me $700 for mine if I get a new battery for it as she is entering college and wants a laptop, but my battery now only lasts a little more than an hour. This would put me about $600 towards a Macbook if I were to go this route. Overall, what do you think is better? I will be taking a hit on the screen size as the one I've got now is 15.4 inch and the Macbook is only 13.3.