Is a macbook any better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoom2, Jun 7, 2014.

1. zoom2 macrumors newbie

I have a laptop running windows 7 which has the following specs;

i7 2670QM 2.20 Ghz 6MB L2 Cache
    8 GB RAM
    2 GB Nvidia Geforce GT540M

However, I believe this guy does not perform the way it should do.
    Running an After effects and doing some composting slows it really down.

I have an Imac bought back in 2007 and it was flawless. System almost never stuck in the middle or an app stopped responding.

I have a feeling that even though the hardware of a mac is not as powerful as other systems, it handles all the work with osx in a harmony.

Am I right with this feeling. Cause I'm planning to buy a new macbook pro 13"

which has i5 with 3mb cache, 4 GB ram and something called "Intel Iris Graphics"

At first it doesn't look like a wise choice but I am kinda on the fence.

I mostly use after effect, photoshop and Cinema 4D

Do you think this macbook would perform way better than my current laptop?

Thank you.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not a wise choice because the rMBP you're looking at only has 4GB of RAM. For what you're doing, you should have at least 8GB.

I think you should go for the sweet spot: the 2.4/8/256 configuration.

3. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

MacBook's certainly are NOT underpowered and I would spring for the 256/8GB RAM model that I have, it is amazing.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I would get your PC notebook inspected. You have really good specs in your PC for what you are doing. So make sure it doesn't have any malware or has some other issues like hardware issues first.

Don't get the 2.4/4/128 13" MBPr. I would recommend that computer for like a kid or a teenager in high school who's just looking at Facebook.

I would recommend like others the 2.4/8/256 if do plan on buying one. You can get a refurb for $1269 plus tax on the Apple refurbished site! :D

5. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

I'd also recommend going for the rMBP.
    But I would say go for the top end 13" model: 2.6/8/512; unless that would be too expensive. I can promise you, once you go Mac there's no turning back ;)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you may see a bump in performance of the CPU, but a step down on the dGPU. The 15" rMBP has the Iris pro that is a better GPU. I say may see a bump in performance because you (correct me if I'm wrong) have an i7 quad core and the 13" rMBP is a i5 dual core.

Depending on your apps, I'd first the laptop looked at to make sure its functioning as it should be. Perhaps before taking the plunge back it up and reload windows - you'll have to do that if you sell it anyways.

As for configuration, I'd opt for 8GB of ram, and probably the 256GB SSD.

For a machine that is configured similarly to your current rig, I'd look at the 15" rMBP, that will give you the most performance imo

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ditto on the 2.4/8GB/256SSD configuration. That's what I recently went with and am loving it. Plenty fast, smooth, easy going. I'm doing some development work with XCode too and everything is working great.

Like someone said though, your windows system has good specs and should be faster. Make sure something isn't amiss.

8. jg321 macrumors 6502

12" 2.4/8/256 here. Don't use it for anymore than just web browsing etc, got the upgrades for storage and 4GB RAM made me feel a bit uncomfortable! Only £250 extra IIRC, so a bit of a no-brainer.

9. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The 256GB model appears to be popular lol.

10. jg321 macrumors 6502

I think it's because the price difference is pretty insignificant, for double storage and RAM. I hardly use mine though, have the iMac too! Saying that, I am typing this from my rMBP hah!

11. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yeah I just got the 256GB model it was due to price that I got this. I would have liked the 512GB though..

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Wouldn't you rather expect a dramatic loss of performance with the 13'' rMBP? Or is After Effects not able to multithread?