Is a macbook good for business

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acussi, Mar 5, 2008.

1. acussi macrumors newbie

Hi, I´m starting a small business that is a cafeteria in a factory, I will be serving food at low cost to 100 employees with different dishes every day.

My question is if a macbook is good for business or should I go with lenovo (similar price). Please if possible give me a little or long explication not just yes or no.

and if yes what software would you recommend.

Thank you all I really need the advice.

Regards

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It really depends on the kind of software you want to run. If you'll run a Windows-based package, it makes sense to get a reliable PC instead of paying extra for an OS you're not going to use. If you plan to run OS X software, then naturally, you'd go for the Mac. I'd suggest you first determine which software, if any, you'd like to run before purchasing either machine.

If you don't need any specific software, then the computer you're typing from will likely be sufficient to run a basic office package like Open Office or MS Office.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Congratulations on your new venture! :)

What kind of software would you need to run? Invoicing? Stock taking? database? General correspondence?
    For most ordinary business needs I would assume MS Office would do you fine — even Apple's own iWork could fit the bill.

For those kinds of applications a MacBook would be more than adequate…

4. acussi thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the point I do not have any software neither for mac nor for pc I´m starting from 0, but if I get a macbook I would definitely not want to buy windows XP or vista in addition to run it in the mac.

Software recommendation is greatly appreciated .

5. gregk205 macrumors member

Like the others have said.. You haven't told us what you would like to do with this computer. Do you want to keep business records??? Invoicing??? POS (Point of Sale)??? If you tell us what you want to do with it we could tell you what software to use.

6. acussi thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to install a program (don´t know which one yet and if they make that type of software for mac) that gives you food costs, inventories, recipes, sales , invoices etc.. also to manage my payroll, create menus and manage my money-

I don´t know nothing about apple except I have an iphone and it is great and simple to use that it´s why I´m thinking in getting a macbook

Thank you all for your time

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

So something like Quickbooks???For invoicing, payroll. (It's on Mac By The Way).

Not sure about any other software for what you want

8. acussi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok do you guys use a macbook or would consider using one to run your business? (manufacturing, retail, wholesale) if yes please tell me what software will you use

9. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

The Only Difference to MacBook and Say MacBook Pro is Screen size and dedicated graphics which in business (The one your in/Going into) you don't really need.

I use a MacBook suits me fine have iWork and M$ Office 2008 so then i have best of both worlds. Getting accounting software soon but haven't decided which out of QuickBooks or MYOB as they are both great in their own ways.

It's upto your personal needs mainly then it comes down to the Computer and OS

11. acussi thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for your help, special thanks to ktbubster the link is great for what i need