Is a Macbook Pro really required in my case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KirkL, Jul 27, 2010.

1. KirkL macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm a poor student who's eager to switch to Mac after years of Windows usage. My primary interest is the build quality of Apple Laptops and the amazing battery life!

Anyway, I'm debating if the Macbook Pro really is necessary for me.

I don't game and I'm a Touch Typist, so the Graphics Card and the backlit keyboard aren't that appealing.

The only qualm I have is I'm a little worried about Polycarbonate vs. Aluminum. Is one more reliable than the other? Some of my friends think the Aluminum enclosure of the Macbook Pro is better.

Comments?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP comes with 4GB of RAM which is already worth 100 bucks. Add SD slot, FW800, backlit KB, aluminum body etc to that and it should be worth the extra

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

the polycarbonate has a tendency to crack on its own
    the aluminum will dent but it feels sturdier
    but the MB screen is less reflective

the backlit keyboard isn't necessary but it's definitely a decent luxury for when you're searching for a special button, if you're stranded w/o light out in a desert

4. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking I'd buy the RAM on my own and change it to 4GB. I've been told Apple Upgrades are really expensive. I've never used FireWire and I'm pretty sure I can manage without a SD slot (I could just use the USB). My only concern really is the Polycarbonate Body.

:eek: Is Apple working on an upgrade or anything?

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't really care the way something "feels". Is the Aluminum sturdier than the Polycarbonate?

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Is metal stronger than plastic? :eek:

Obvious answer is obvious.

6. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I haven't thrown mine off a bridge yet but,
    If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...it's probably a duck

7. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Is polycarbonate just plastic? I thought it was a polymer of some kind or something. My bad :D

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

it's the same as those crystal clear cases if you've ever used any, just white colored

9. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Ew. Okay. I'll bite. I'm getting the MBP.

10. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If a Mac of any type isn’t in your budget, don’t buy it.

11. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm considering spending $900-1000 and my Girlfriend's brother works for Apple. So with the discount MBP is almost within my budget. I mean the difference is really around $100 anyway considering I would have bought RAM on my own and replaced it on the MB.

I was just wondering if the MBP was "worth it".

12. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Okay, I misunderstood. I thought you were asking if it was worth it to get a Mac notebook over a cheaper, Windows notebook computer.

13. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah. I was considering getting a i5 ThinkPad a month ago but decided Mac would be a welcome change. Plus 10 hour battery life = Heaven.

14. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I get 6-7 out of mine doing normal school stuff (no video/flash usage) on realistic settings. And I have a 2009 model that was rated at 7-8 hours.

15. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

the white MB has a *lot* less reflective glossy screen which is imho much easier on the eyes then the glass mirror of the mbp.

16. Outbreak macrumors newbie

This literally made me laugh out loud

17. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh :confused:

I'd go to an Apple Store to check the difference out in person but there are none around me =/

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Check for side by side comparison of MB and MBP screens on youtube.

You can kinda get a feel for it if you can't get your hands on one.

19. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I think the aluminum is stronger and you don't have to worry about it cracking. Also if you have a microcenter close by I believe they still have the MBP for $999.

20. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said earlier my GF's brother works for Apple. I'll try to ask him if he can get employee discount - else I'm getting it for $999 at MicroCenter.

I'm a generally poor student who's saved up enough-ish for a laptop. I can get an i5 with decent specs for the same price but I'm really worried about the reliability. My cousin who works for HP told me never to get the Dell/HP Consumer Laptops because they're just crap. And the Business Class Laptops (Latitude, EliteBook etc) cost roughly the same as the Macbook Pro.

It's not OS X envy as much as form factor, battery life envy. I heard ThinkPads are reliable, but they look like crap :mad: Believe me I'd LOVE to get the iLine of processors. In fact, I was VERY pissed at the April "Refresh" and was gonna get a PC, but then I realized there's no way I could get 10 hour battery life out of any Windows Laptop. I really don't mind Microsoft and didn't even mind Vista.

Good idea! Thanks!

I think the MBP looks slightly better.

I'm going to be doing a lot of stuff w/ Spreadsheets. Do you think it would make much of a difference in my case?

21. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

They both have the same resolution and even though the MBP's screen is glossier, it's a nicer screen for general purposes.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You keep mentioning 10-hour battery life. Remember, it's UP TO 10 hours. Depending on your workload, you may never actually see 10 hours life from a charge. Making any computer buying decision with the expectation that your battery life will be anything specific will only lead to disappointment.

23. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume other vendors state the "Up to" battery life too though. Thanks for the heads up!

What happened to chupacabra's post?

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios