Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamlin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hello I currently have a Mid 2010 Macbook (white) and was offered $800 for it on Kijiji. I only really use it for surfing the net, watching netflix, youtube random games like TF2, minecraft etc. and was wondering if the upgrade to a Macbook Pro 13 inch would be worth it with me having to pay the difference of roughly $200-300$.

This is the macbook pro I was looking at

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FD313LL/A

Aside from the Processor(mine is core 2 duo 2.4 ghz) It doesnt really seem that much better.

Also I upgraded the ram on my macbook to 4 gigs

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
Based on your stated needs I don't really think that you need to upgrade. The new machine is going to have better a processor and graphics and a larger HDD but you really won't notice any of that in your day to day use. Unless you really like the look of the new MBP then I would keep your machine as it will continue to serve you well.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
I'd say go for it, the i series processors are a huge jump from the ole' C2Ds.

of course the new processors are better. but does the OP actually need it? doesn't seem like it. no point in buying a faster device if you're not even utilizing it.

hell, i work as a digital designer for an ad agency and i'm still using a 2008 core 2 duo machine.

one caveat is that the white macbooks are prone to cracking, so upgrading to aluminum may be worth it for that reason alone.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
of course the new processors are better. but does the OP actually need it? doesn't seem like it. no point in buying a faster device if you're not even utilizing it.

hell, i work as a digital designer for an ad agency and i'm still using a 2008 core 2 duo machine.

one caveat is that the white macbooks are prone to cracking, so upgrading to aluminum may be worth it for that reason alone.

I do quite a bit of Final Cut and PS on my trusty Blackbook and I know about heat issues and cracking. It's most likely the plastic casing that gets my book in the mid-high 180s during long render times.

If theres a ton of flash or even lighter gaming like TF2 even the newer 13 MBP would be miles ahead of an older Macbook.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It sounds like it could be worth doing. You would get a new(refurbished) MBP with a warranty. And of course a fresh battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.