Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
can't seem to edit the title to :
IS A HACKINTOSH BETTER THAN NMP FOR VID EDITING. blooming apple text correction!

wondered if you can give me some advice pls. i have a chance to buy a hackintosh for £1350. the geek bench result on it was 3118 and 15500. its a 6 core 5820. i wanted to get a NMP but they prob won't update it this year and its getting old. so my question is, even the 5k iMac gets 18000 score, so would it be better to get an imak than a hackintosh ? the gpu on hackintosh has 2800 cud cores. i am looking for a machine to run premiere cc and after effects and deviance resolve 12 with 4k raw footage using green screen and filters etc i really don't know how these geek bench numbers work or if they show how good a machne is for editing 4k thanks for any help :)
i can buy a mackintosh on eBay with this config :

CPU - i7-5820k 6 Cores 3.3 GHz, 15 MB Cache with Noctua NH-L12 CPU cooler
Motherboard - Asus X99-A
Ram - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4
SSD - 480GB (OCZ) and 240GB (Kingston)
Graphics- GTX 780 Ti (Reference Design)
Case - Inwin 904
PSU - Be Quiet! L8-730W (Modular)
Fan- Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition
Bluetooth - iogear GBU521W6
Wifi- TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band

does the geek bench score determine if a computer is better than another, or does cud cores count etc ?
i read somewhere that the score of 15500 was equiv to a 6 core mac pro 2010, but that worries me because i want to upgrade rather than buy a 2010 computer if that makes sense ?
thanks for your opinion.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
A good GPU, six cores, a large speedy SSD, and up to 48GB RAM is what you need these days for great video editing across various editing apps (not just Final Cut). If you can get that for cheaper than a Mac Pro then all power to you. Don't worry about the Geekbenches.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
A good GPU, six cores, a large speedy SSD, and up to 48GB RAM is what you need these days for great video editing across various editing apps (not just Final Cut). If you can get that for cheaper than a Mac Pro then all power to you. Don't worry about the Geekbenches.
thanks for your reply.
the pc for sale has x99 board and i7 5820 chip which is great, the down side could be the gpu geforce gtx 780 ti, does anyone know if this gpu will cope with smooth 4k vid editing ?

thnx for any insight.

had macs all my life, but waiting too long to get a mac pro thats not two years old :-( so looking else where if apple don't want my money..
opinions ?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
As Capitan says, Geekbenches are generally a crummy way of making purchasing decisions, not least of which is that they aren't measuring all parts of your system.

A Hackintosh is not going to be the smoothest experience possible, so that is probably the bigger question you have to address for yourself than the questions you've posed above. If I were going to be relying on a machine for work I'd rather just either get a Mac or a Windows PC rather than a Hackintosh, and this is said as someone who really detests working in Windows. Inside the applications most things will work the same way and you won't run into support issues.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
As Capitan says, Geekbenches are generally a crummy way of making purchasing decisions, not least of which is that they aren't measuring all parts of your system.

A Hackintosh is not going to be the smoothest experience possible, so that is probably the bigger question you have to address for yourself than the questions you've posed above. If I were going to be relying on a machine for work I'd rather just either get a Mac or a Windows PC rather than a Hackintosh, and this is said as someone who really detests working in Windows. Inside the applications most things will work the same way and you won't run into support issues.
thanks for your insight, i am new to mackintosh so looking to see if this is a good buy for £1350 or not ,
cheers :)

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
thanks for your insight, i am new to mackintosh so looking to see if this is a good buy for £1350 or not ,
cheers :)
Hmmm

You might be able to build your own for a little less than that. If you are new to Hackintosh, your main issue is any small OS update could break compatibility. Don't be afraid to use Windows. It's the apps you use that matter in the end.

Reactions: NOTNlCE

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
what kind of storage will you be using to edit media on?
if it's 4K raw files im guessing you'll need lots of fast space which is not cheep, any one know what you need to edit 4K raw files ? HD/ssd raid ?

you need to add that to the total cost of the computer with some more ram.
(both for this hack & the imac)

worth checking how much nose it makes + free expansion slots.

a Hackingtosh may have problems with OS updates, so hassle.

the Red forums have tips on editing computers, whats needed for jobs etc.

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
If you are going the hackintosh route I'd recommend getting familiar with the various OSx86 forums and building it yourself.

If (when) something breaks after an OS update, you are going to want to be able to figure it out.
(unless that eBay purchase also comes with 3 years of support from the seller.)

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
A hackintosh has the potential to completely eviscerate any apple mac computer on the market and do it at a much lower price. To deny that is to have your head buried in the sand.

Yes, you'll need to learn how to install OS X on a PC. I strongly recommend going to tonymacx86.com and looking at the motherboard options to complement that processor. Look at the forum and see if you can find some step by step guides with the motherboard of your choice to make SURE it'll work 100%. Also be careful with qualified vendors list RAM if you need lots of memory. Everything else won't matter much as long as you stick to Geforce GPUs (AMD's are.... meh). The 780Ti is still a beast of a card so you're definitely going to get solid performance out of that. Luckily for you if you go down this path, you'll be able to upgrade to a better one rather than being stuck with two half assed rebranded AMD 7xxx series cards disguised as Dxxx series (don't be fooled)... FOREVER.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.