Is a MBA 11 too small to work in iBooks Author?

Ibamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Hi,

I need to buy a Mac for access to iBooks Author. I've been looking at the 11" MBA because I already have a pc 12.5" laptop and a desktop and I figured the smallest form factor could come in handy as a second laptop for general computing - word processing, email and websites. I don't have the room for a second desktop, nor do I want to buy a monitor (ruling out the mini). I figure I can do the video and photo work (and most of the drafting) on the PC's I already have, but will have to use a Mac to format books in iBooks Author. (I have an iPad to review them.)

What do you think? Is the 11" too small to work in iBooks Author? I don't currently need a computer, but I want to publish textbooks for iBooks so I need a Mac. An expensive dilemma. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Aberglasslyn, NSW, AU
If the 12.5" PC you have isn't uncomfortable for you to type on for longer than say 1 hour at a time, then the 11" Air should be OK.

Given you can get a 13" for about the same price (depending on spec) I recommend if you can, go to an Apple store/reseller and spend a few minutes typing on each and see which one you prefer.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Hi,
I need to buy a Mac for access to iBooks Author. I've been looking at the 11" MBA. Is the 11" too small to work in iBooks Author? Any thoughts?
I have the mid 2012 macbook air 11", I have played around with ibook Author and have not encountered any problems so far. Fits the screen really well, especially in full screen mode. Hope that helps. :D

Ibamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Thank you. Any thoughts on i5 vs. i7 and 128gb vs. 256gb? I'll definitely go for the 8gb ram. I read that saving versions slows the computer down significantly, but that might be the program and not the set-up.

Thanks again!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Thank you. Any thoughts on i5 vs. i7 and 128gb vs. 256gb? I'll definitely go for the 8gb ram. I read that saving versions slows the computer down significantly, but that might be the program and not the set-up.

Thanks again!
I don't know where you've read that? It's simply not true

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England

Ibamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Would you mind letting me know what specs you have on your 2011 MBA? It's more than adequate, right?

Thank you.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Would you mind letting me know what specs you have on your 2011 MBA? It's more than adequate, right?

Thank you.
i7 1.8 GHz / 4 GB RAM/ 256 GB storage

The i5 is more than adequate for working with iBooks Author. It's really not an intensive app at all. I bought the "ultimate" 2011 spec, but that wasn't for iBooks Author.

The only thing to think about is whether the 11" screen would suit you. I personally prefer seeing a couple of pages at a time and I like to have the styles drawer and the inspector visible, so I end up connecting the MBA to an external monitor, but for typing on the road the 13" is great.

I would go into an Apple store and check out whether the 11" screen will be ok for you

Ibamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Thank you. You're right. I need to go to a store and spend some time with the keyboard and in front of the screen. Almost bought a refurbished 13" June 2012 i7 Macbook Pro today, but realized I really need to go see them in person. If I do end up using the laptop for more than IBA and carrying it around, I would strongly prefer the lighter models.

Btw, to familiarize myself with iBooks Author, I'm trying www.macincloud.com. Figured it was worth the $20. That way I can see what it looks like on a 24" desktop all-in-one, the 12.5" laptop and the <11" iPad, and learn the software so that I can hit the ground running.

Thanks again for your help.