Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mookgiants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I'm looking to buy an apple tv next month, but if a new one is coming out before november or so I'd be willing to wait. Anyone know if a new one is definitely coming out? I checked the buyers guide and they seem to think so but tried googling and didnt come up with anything definitive

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I doubt an all new one is coming out soon. The current one feels very underutilized in its current state. It was nice to finally get some new streaming options on the AppleTV recently though.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
The current one feels very underutilized in its current state.

I disagree. Streaming stutters more than on pc/xbox/ps3 clients for the same services with the same high speed internet and same network type. Local network and airplay work fine. The product would benefit from better buffer management for a better streaming experience. I don't think test labs for this product cover as many real world conditions as they need to indicating room for improvement.

----------

OK, I feel silly for not knowing that but feel pretty good about not having to see all those icons again. Thanks!

Who looks under parental controls for a general settings item that pertains to everybody?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I disagree. Streaming stutters more than on pc/xbox/ps3 clients for the same services with the same high speed internet and same network type. Local network and airplay work fine. The product would benefit from better buffer management for a better streaming experience. I don't think test labs for this product cover as many real world conditions as they need to indicating room for improvement.

----------

Who looks under parental controls for a general settings item that pertains to everybody?
Curiously, I have never had a download from YouTube/Vimeo have a stuttering problem. Don't use Netflix or Hulu, so I can't speak to them. I really wonder if it's more of an app problem vs an aTV hardware problem that causes stuttering, since the apps are specific to the client.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007

----------

I leave mine streaming sometimes for 12 hours straight on Crunchyroll. What I did notice was a bit of a quality lag for the first 10-15 seconds of an episode when it autoplays, then it cleans itself up to 1080p for the rest of the episode.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
The only thing I would love to see is something akin to an Apple TV Extreme, where there is a built in 2TB HD in it that can house downloaded content.

On a software side, an App Store and upgraded audio, like Dolby Digital Plus. If WalMart can put that on Vudu, a tech company that sees itself as a leader sure can...

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc

----------

Mine works better than my Xbox/pc/ps3. All of the apps stream extremely well on my setup. Netflix and YouTube most notably function better than i expected. While i will agree there is room for improvement in the selection of apps and location of some of the controls (sleep and restart come to mind), i really dig my Apple TV. I would love to see an App Store for the Apple TV and a revision of the interface. But for what it is, mine works almost flawlessly.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I disagree. Streaming stutters more than on pc/xbox/ps3 clients for the same services with the same high speed internet and same network type. Local network and airplay work fine. The product would benefit from better buffer management for a better streaming experience. I don't think test labs for this product cover as many real world conditions as they need to indicating room for improvement.?

Can't comment on Xbox or PS3, but my AppleTV is better than my Blu-Ray, my "Smart"TV, and my Wii for streaming video and on par with any of my Macs.....

Based on the responses in this thread, are you sure it is the AppleTV? Is it possible the AppleTV does less buffering than say the PS3 or Xbox and maybe your internet connection isn't as good as you think it is thus the limited buffering is rearing its ugly head?

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Based on the responses in this thread, are you sure it is the AppleTV? Is it possible the AppleTV does less buffering than say the PS3 or Xbox and maybe your internet connection isn't as good as you think it is thus the limited buffering is rearing its ugly head?

Yes real real world, not perfect world. I didn't claim internet connection is good, or bad for that matter. I have not run a latency or lost packet check but now I'm curious what Comcast may be doing to the connection.

Buffering is designed for network problems. The ATVs here decide that after a set amount of empty buffer errors they permanently change video quality for the playing video instead of ramping back up when network conditions improve. I've had better luck with clients on other machines behaving better on recovery, especially for Netflix which I've dropped for lack of content.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
I really wonder if it's more of an app problem vs an aTV hardware problem that causes stuttering, since the apps are specific to the client.

Could be. I've noticed problems with Netflix and iTunes cloud streaming. Business wise it makes sense for Apple to 'accidentally' have a bad Netflix app but not the iTunes app too. The occasional iTunes cloud streaming problem may be more a HDMI encoding problem specific to ATV. I'm not sure. Video sometimes stutters like dropped frames in a silent movie but audio is left intact. The same content plays in iTunes without any problem on a Mac-Mini to the TV HDMI.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
The last time Apple updated Apple TV it was to support compressed 1080p content. I expect the next hardware update will be for the purpose of supporting 4K content and will include three changes: support for 802.11ac, A6 rather than A5 chip, and either 16GB or 32GB of flash rather than 8GB. I expect the release will come when Apple sign a deal for 4K iTunes content with one of the major studies. Probably not this year.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Could be. I've noticed problems with Netflix and iTunes cloud streaming. Business wise it makes sense for Apple to 'accidentally' have a bad Netflix app but not the iTunes app too. The occasional iTunes cloud streaming problem may be more a HDMI encoding problem specific to ATV. I'm not sure. Video sometimes stutters like dropped frames in a silent movie but audio is left intact. The same content plays in iTunes without any problem on a Mac-Mini to the TV HDMI.
I think Netflix develops their own app for the aTV (and other systems). So if there is something inadequate, it's comes from Netflix.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I've seen it noted in other threads that the "silent" spec bump back in the spring required enough retooling of manufacturing that it would seem pointless to do it for only a few months. From that, figure it's unlikely that new hardware will be out before next spring, maybe late winter at the earliest.

There will, of course, be an OS update with iOS 7, but that doesn't go into whether or not you should buy it now.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I've seen it noted in other threads that the "silent" spec bump back in the spring required enough retooling of manufacturing that it would seem pointless to do it for only a few months. From that, figure it's unlikely that new hardware will be out before next spring, maybe late winter at the earliest.

There will, of course, be an OS update with iOS 7, but that doesn't go into whether or not you should buy it now.

what was the silent spec bump?

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Aside from Airplay, the Apple TV 3 is the most useless of the TV boxes. We used ours for, well, YouTube cartoons for the kids. Nothing else on it is remotely useful to me. iPlayer? 4od? Lovefilm? ITV player? Can I plug in an HD full of movies? Why do I always want to be streaming stuff from iTunes on a Mac?

Get a cheap and nasty Android Droidbox that at least opens up a world of content, must like the jailbroken ATV 2s, or just find some small discrete device that runs XBMC well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.