Is a new iPhone and contract supposed to delete your voicemail setup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Dec 15, 2014.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I was on an iPhone 4S for the past 3 years (had a 2 year contract) with AT&T. A few days ago I upgraded to the iPhone 5S with a 2 year contract with AT&T and the same phone number as before. I tried calling my phone, and I noticed my voicemail greeting has been erased. Also, the iPhone 5S isn't showing any visual voicemails anymore, and it is asking for my voicemail password.

Is your entire voicemail setup supposed to be wiped out when you start a new 2 year contract with AT&T and the same phone number?

I haven't restored my 4S backup onto the 5S yet -will I get all my old voicemails when I do that?

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I've noticed that whenever I get a new iPhone, I do have to set visual voicemail up again. If you restore from a backup rather than setting up as a new device, then you should have those old voicemails.

3. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Uh, why wouldn't you ask ATT to fix what they broke?

4. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

AT&T has removed voicenail from your account so you must call them to add it back. The same thing happened to me; it was a rep's error when I activated my iPhone 6. You need to call in to have it fixed.

5. azhava macrumors regular

The day I activated my 6+, I got an e-mail from AT&T giving step-by-step instructions on how to set my voicemail up. Once it was done, my old greeting was there, as was my "recents" call log and old voicemail.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Thisnisnrheir most likely answer. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to this either. My line had vvm removed while the other two lines (also iPhones) remained completely intact. Has happened two or three times over the years to me.