Is a new iphone in 2009 a definate?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markmc2k8, Jan 8, 2009.

1. markmc2k8 macrumors newbie

Nice and easy question which I think I know the answer for but some of you guys can put my mind at ease.

I have a first generation iphone and was thinking of getting a 3g but I'm guessing there will be almost certainly new hardware in July time?

Am I right not to waste my money just now? I know this would be an educated guess.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing is a definite. We know nothing.

Having said that, wait until June if you don't want to actually use a phone at all until then.

3. JLatte macrumors 6502

hang on let me shake the ball....

Future uncertain.

Let me just pull out an answer to one of your questions: YES. Now just put that to whichever question you want the Yes to answer and there you go!

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Mine says, ask again later.:p

No telling what Apple will do. They could introduce a whole new style of phone with awesome new features, or just give it a memory boost, or release nothing.

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

...If you want to find out then just wait....

6. Smacky macrumors 6502

Sounds like you have already made up your mind

7. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I think it is safe to say an update in 2009 is inevitable, however, the question is when and only apple knows that.

8. nanoboy macrumors member

Bring on that new technology for putting a camera hidden behind a display (which Apple just published a patent for)! So neat!! That seems like something that would actually use in their products, soon? (Or else those at Microsoft Research Lab working on their Surface will put it into their photocopier)

Will we see it implemented in the iPhone this year?

How long does it take apple from patent to implementation? (Not talking about the winter gloves for iPhone here)

I'd buy an iPhone as soon as there's a front camera (i.e. video conference (for skype))!

9. leishan macrumors 6502

Maybe will will see an upgrade this year due to the release of the new Palm device. Who knows...

10. whatwereusaying macrumors newbie

I don't think they really know...

The REAL question is, if you wait, will it be worth it? Or just a refresh (similar to computers...)

I think we'll see regular iPhone updates for a while. This has been long enough in the works that I'm pretty sure they already have the evolution mapped out for at least a good 3 years... You're bound to see an update with a copy/paste feature at the very least.

If I had to speculate...

But take that with a grain of salt (duh) ...I'm a BlackBerry user.

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

And "what", which also only Apple knows. For hardware, memory and colors are possibilities. For software, I wouldn't worry, since it almost certainly could be upgraded.

12. stuarthatto macrumors regular

Oh yes - its definite (notice spelling?)

Or, actually no, its not definite.

Like anybody on a rumours website would know definite from rumour.... why would they? Nothing is definite until Apple says it is... evidence all the idiots falling for iPhone nano

13. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I would think the update would coincide with the ending of the 2 year contract initial iphone 3g users would have with ATT. I think it would be stupid to release a product while everyone who would buy it is currently locked into a contract with ATT...unless ATT allowed upgrading without a penalty.:D

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Seems like a once per year thing to me. After one year of use, AT&T allows discounted prices for current users. So for the die hard iPhoners, once per year they will buy and that means continual sales to current users which is more of a sure thing than trying to find new customers. Problem is coming up with hardware specific upgrades making it worth reinvesting annually. They increased the network speed and added GPS, and the masses switched. I think they had that in mind when originally going with Edge. Seems like wanted to make more money later. I would expect using different carriers to allow even more sales in the future. For this year, it may be video and something really makes us to want the switch. I don't know what it will be, but I am sure Apple knows what they are doing. I know one thing, a nano version will not make me want to switch. I am typing this on my iPhone now, and I couldn't handle a smaller keyboard.

15. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

"But he[Phil Schiller] also pointed out that having to come up with another dazzling show every January—a huge production, starring knock-’em-dead new products every year—was unsustainable. He noted that Apple marches to certain annual product cycles: the holiday season (Novemberish), the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June). January doesn’t fit ANY of them."

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/a-strange-macworld-expo/

16. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Yes

Yes, Apple will update again this year. They're not likely to let their hottest new product languish.