is a new macbook SR without buzzing possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tayhoenes, Nov 18, 2007.

1. tayhoenes macrumors newbie

ok, this buzzing issue has been going around for a while now, My macbook SR was buzzing so I took it back and the new one does it too.

what I was hoping to hear from someone is a positive experience with exchanging a macbook SR.

It there anyone out there that had this buzzing problem and was able to get it exchanged from one without any buzzing? I am still debating on taking it back and exchanging or getting a refund and paying the restocking fee.....

Some people say "keep trying to exchange" but you can really only do that so many times until they say "no more exchanges mr. perfectionist!!!!":(

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Yes it is possible. you should not accept a machine which is less than perfect in your estimation. I've heard about others getting it replaced with a non-buzzing one, why shouldn't you

3. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I used to agree with this line of thought, but recently I've discovered it is very very tiring and really takes the joy out of owning what you want.

If the buzzing is really annoying, then I would recommend you exchange yours. However if you can live with it, and your machine is otherwise perfect I'd say keep it. You never know what your next machine might bring you.

4. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

If the buzzing noise you are hearing is the classic "cpu whine" then you can get rid of it.

Google "shhmbp" and install it.

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Don't install sshmbp. What it does it disable power management. This means full voltage is going to the CPU core and will eat into your battery life.

6. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Yes it does disable the C4 power state, but thats a very deep sleep state for the CPU. You still have C1, C2 and C3.

You are correct it does have an impact on battery life, I would say about 5-7%.

I guess it depends on how much the buzzing is a problem for you.

7. tayhoenes thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried ShhMBP and it didn't do anything. The buzzing is still there. I did't notice any change with it installed. I guess the advice that most are saying is to go and get a new one... well I think I will try one more time. I really hope it is better. I really wonder if it is a fan issue. Maybe the fans used in the new SR macbooks are louder. The fan is running at 1800RPM so that seems fine. I would like to drop it to 1000RPM for a minute to see if that reduces the buzzing. The fan control programs don't let you drop them below the factory settings so that is a no go.

8. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

If it's not the CPU whine then I would definitely exchange it for another one.

9. iViking macrumors 6502

It didn't do anything because it was suggested to fix the original whine on the MB and the MBP.

This is something different, a new SR MB buzz, maybe from the same source, but altogether a different sound.

AN ELECTRIC BUZZ,
    not an electric whine.

Only people like yourself who actually own a SR MB know what it sounds like--everyone else is just randomly guessing and offering fixes that won't work. It's a new issue with SR MB's.

10. tayhoenes thread starter macrumors newbie

well I returned my macbook again and got another one with a buzz. It seems to be a little less of a buzz than the last one so I guess I will keep it. I am really leaning toward the idea that the new SR are using a different fan model or design.