Is a periodic "Not charging" message normal?

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi, last night I plugged my iPad 3 into the charger that it came with, verified that it was charging, and left it to charge. Some hours later I woke up the display to see how far it had gone, and it said "Not charging" next to the battery level icon -- but it wasn't at 100%. I unplugged the USB end of the cable from the charger and plugged it back in again, and it started charging again.

I was curious, has anyone else observed this type of behavior? Does the charging cycle periodically stop charging for some reason before resuming?

chazmink

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Long Beach Island, NJ
My experience has been somewhat similar. I kept getting the not gargling message shortly after connecting the charger I used with my iPad 2. I tried it with three different charger and cable combos with the same effect. I finally unpacked the charger and cable that came with the new iPad and it charged reliably and I stopped getting the not charging indicator. Perplexing.

Cingular

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
I tried charging mine with $.99 USB cable that I bought from Amazon and would get "not charging" most of the time. Used my Authentic iPhone cable and no problem.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
My experience has been somewhat similar. I kept getting the not gargling message shortly after connecting the charger I used with my iPad 2. I tried it with three different charger and cable combos with the same effect. I finally unpacked the charger and cable that came with the new iPad and it charged reliably and I stopped getting the not charging indicator. Perplexing.
The reason this happened is because the iPad 3 draws more charging current than the iPad 2's charger can supply.

I tried charging mine with $.99 USB cable that I bought from Amazon and would get "not charging" most of the time. Used my Authentic iPhone cable and no problem.
You know, that may be it! I'm using a cable that we use to charge our iPods. I'll try using the one that came with the iPad 3 and we'll see what happens.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
The reason this happened is because the iPad 3 draws more charging current than the iPad 2's charger can supply.
No. The ipad 2 and new ipad chargers are are the same. Both are 10w chargers. This issues are with the cable and I'm guessing the new iPad cable is a lower gauge (thicker) and can handle the power draw better than 3rd party cables or previous gen charger cables. The "not charging " error popped up for me today too and I'm using a 3rd party cable.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
With my iPad2, I had been using a USB extender and it worked fine. Ever since I got my new iPad, that hasn't worked. When I exchanged my AT&T model for the Verizon one, I asked the Apple rep why it didn't work and I was also told it was because the iPad 3 draws more charging current than the iPad 2's charger can supply. I wish I had asked why we didn't get a more powerful charger then.