Is a possible new interface in Snow Leopard only about looks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Runenees, May 11, 2009.

1. Runenees macrumors newbie

I recently tried out Windows 7 and I have to say, I really like the application management features that they have come up with. Then I heard about "Marble" and it made me think: Is a new interface, such as Marble or whatever it's going to be called, all about the looks or could it have something to do with application management as well?

As far as I remember, Marble was described as a new look and feel of OS X. I'm not trying to argue over whether Windows 7 has better navigation tools than OS X, I'm just saying that I was impressed (seeing as I hate XP, that says a lot) and I'm thinking that Apple probably has to do something to fresh up Exposé or even better, come up with something new.

But what do you think? Could Marble contain more than looks?

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

Marble...now I get it! It ties in perfectly with all the multi-touch stuff too.

Imagine this, instead of double clicking to launch an application, you'll flick it's icon off the Dock toward a circle in the middle of your desktop.

Plus it could replace expose, you just flick your icons around and whichever ends up closest to the center of the circle gets the top window.

Spaces, you have multiple circles that you flick icons between :)

Just kiddin, they just froze SLs APIs, so I don't think there will be any major changes that haven't been seen already. Marble is probably just cosmetic stuff, like they dropped brushed metal between tiger and leopard.

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

We have not yet used half of the APIs in OS 10.5 that are available yet. I can see a lot more Core Animation and maybe one day turning Quartz Extreme on.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well, one could go along the lines that 10.6 uses both CPU and GPU for the UI, and if they enabled the GPU to do more work, they could improve the speed and power of what the user sees. With the opportunity to harness the GPU - they could actually start making some better uses of OpenGL - instead of just showing off demos of building buildings with cover art - actually provide the user with a screensaver that does this. Seeing as Spaces was introduced in 10.5, they could at some point tweak it a bit.

Is an Atom, or a Bugatti or a Caterham 7's car shape only about looks?

Marble is being sold as a change to the style of the interface -
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...veiling_guarded_snow_leopard_ui_overhaul.html

So the talk is currently of a unified style for windows, scrollbars, buttons etc.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Pretty good ideas there. I'm also thinking of more Core Animation effects in Snow Leopard.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

FreeBSD moving away from gcc and towards LLVM//clang - and with Apple's hand in Clang

The fun part?
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=llvm_gallium3d&num=1

LLVM is "already being used for tasks like compiling and optimizing GPU shaders"
    What did Chris Lattner think about LLVM? http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2006-August/006492.html
    Well - LLVM 2.5 was announced right around WWDC 2008.:

Lattner directly manages the Clang team, contributes daily to both the Clang and LLVM projects, and continues in role as compiler architect and lead on the Open Source LLVM/Clang projects. He hasn't updated his profiles since July 2008.

Apple pushed through OpenCL in record time. With the GPU taking some of the work for the UI, and some to the GPU - Apple with OpenCL could push even more to the GPU to free up the CPU, which will be running GCD.

Cover art cities this time round? :rolleyes:

As for Core Animation specifically - whilst it's all about "non-intersecting 2D planes in space." there are links to Open GL and Open CL. OpenCL is designed to work closely with OpenGL code. Core Animation running on top of OpenGL, so there should be improvements here -

They went hog wild with Core Animation previously. Whilst Microsoft might bring new wallpaper to reheated Vista, Apple might bring a little more to the party. The fun bit is that this feeds into the iPhone's visuals as well.

7. Riverbird macrumors member

If this is the new look for the interface, it sure is pretty! ^^