Is a RAM upgrade needed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loccy92, May 26, 2015.

1. loccy92 macrumors newbie

Howdy!

I'm just having some issues with my Macbook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011). 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory. Although lately everything is running VERY slowly. It takes a good 40 seconds to open up finder and opening programs like Word, Excel or Photoshop are absolute death and sometimes I just have to Force Quit to prevent my laptop from seizing up pretty much. I was wondering if I could get some opinions and experiences with RAM upgrades? I tried looking on the Apple websites for parts and it said there wasn't anything available at this point in time.

Thanks!
    Loccy

Edit: Web browsing is usually no worries for me, but if I view a page that has a few images or if I try to load a video on youtube, my laptop freezes for about 15-20 seconds and then carries on as normal

2. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'd get a solid state drive and eventually get some ram. The SSD will make ALL the difference. I promise you.

3. loccy92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Any suggestions on which SSD to use? Im hearing good things about Samsung 850 EVO, but I'm wondering is 256GB would be enough or if I should go for the 512. Which one are you currently using?

4. placidity44, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'd get something from crucial just to know it's 100 percent compatible with no issues. You can also get ram from them. Here's a link to the ssd's. Apps load almost instantly and the boot up time is much faster. Then eventually you can upgrade the ram but I'll bet that the ram won't make near as much different as an ssd.
    I'd get something from crucial just to know it's 100 percent compatible with no issues. You can also get ram from them.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just buy a Crucial BX100, it'll suit you fine. Fast enough and relatively inexpensive.

6. loccy92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I think I'm going to get the Crucial BX100 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD.

First time installing a SSD though, is there anything I need to be aware of before I do it? (I have all the instructions to physically install it) I.E, backups, etc?

EDIT:
    http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/upgrade-your-macbook-install-ssd-hard-drive/

^ does this cover all of it?

7. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

When I installed an SSD, I just made a Time Machine backup on an external drive, booted the computer from that (after installing the SSD of course), used Disk Utility to format the SSD, and then restored from my Time Machine backup. Simple as pie.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You'll need a Time Machine backup and an 8GB USB stick (for creating the USB installer).

First, perform the Time Machine backup.

Next, download Yosemite off the Mac App Store.

Third, use DiskMakerX (free app, Google it) to create the bootable USB stick.

Then, shut down the Mac and install the SSD.

After that, plug the USB stick in and while starting it up, hold down the Option key. Then select the USB stick when prompted.

After that, select the installation language. From the Utilities menu in the top bar, open Disk Utility and format the SSD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

After that, quit Disk Utility and proceed to restore from a Time Machine backup.

9. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Actually you don't have to do any of these steps. If you've already done a Time Machine backup on a system running Yosemite, boot from the external drive with your Time Machine backup on it and you can both use Disk Utility and do a full restore. There's no need to reinstall Yosemite considering that would already be included with the backup restore.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Or

Buy an external USB disk caddy, put the SSD in it (another vote for Crucial)

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal HDD to the SSD

Physically swap the SSD and HDD over

Boot from the SSD, check everything is OK

Use your old HDD as a spare external drive.

11. loccy92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies! Having a bit of trouble finding anywhere local that sells Crucial. They mustn't stock in Australian stores often or something. Will keep looking and keep updating :)

12. loccy92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Howdy!

Success! :D

Everything is SO much faster. Way faster than I anticipated :D Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Just one tiny issue with the installation though. When I pick up my laptop and carry it around I can hear to SSD moving :S I screwed it in tight and everything? Have I missed something? :S

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Did you remember to re-attach the four Torx T6 screws on the sides?

14. loccy92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I did. Everything seemed to fit so well together when I was installing it.

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Basically when replacing the hard drive, there's only two things holding down the hard drive - the bracket and the four Torx screws.