Is a refurb Mac Book Pro worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ogre420, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ogre420 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Three of my family members have Apples, an ibook G4, Power Book, and Mac book pro. I am familiar with the use of Apples but not to understanding of the specs and necessary features.

I am looking at purchasing an Apple notebook, preferably a Mac Book Pro. I am leaving for Australia in a few weeks and would like to get one before I leave. My budget is $1200.

I would like to day trade and figure that having parallel would allow me to do that using a Windows based platform. I'd rather have an Apple and if I were to get one I would want to be able to use it to day trade.

I am looking online and came across what I think is a good buy. I found this product at Mac of All Trades and thought am wondering if any one thinks this is a good buy or there are better. Also has anyone heard of Mac of All Trades, and how are they? Well this is what I found;

Apple Intel Core Duo/2.0GHz 15.4" MacBook Pro (non-glossy) 1.0/80GB SuperDrive (X1600 128MB) BT APX Tested and reconditioned with a 30-day hardware warranty., $999.99

OR

Apple Intel Core Duo/2.16GHz 15.4" MacBook Pro (non-glossy) 1.0/100GB SuperDrive (X1600 256MB) BT APX Tested and reconditioned with a 30-day hardware warranty., $1,099.99

So what should I consider????

Cheers...

2. ~Wibble~ macrumors member

Just like to add, my mac is reconditioned and i've had no problems ever.
    so if its your first refurb, go for it

~Wibble~

3. Kaliemon macrumors member

Go with the second config and upgrade the RAM to 2 GB, thats the config of my old MBP which my dad uses now (he also Trades) and the laptop is more than capable of handling it.

Running Parallels really does require the 2GB of ram, but you can also upgrade that yourself later. I pretty sure cost is quite low now.

But definitely go for the larger HD running windows will take up a chunk of space and the extra 20GB will be appreciated.

4. Ogre420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks....

So reburb it is... but from where? And does $1200 sound reasonable?

Can parallel run on the Tiger OS?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you sure there are refurbished? These look "certified used"

6. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Sounds for sure as if that's the case. "Refurb" Macs - most of which aren't - come with the same warranty as a new Mac.

7. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

"Tested and reconditioned with a 30-day hardware warranty., $1,099.99"

I'd stay away from this. 30 days?

Apple gives a much longer warranty on their refurbs.

8. Ogre420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info everyone...

I was able to spot a great deal from the apple store. I will pay a bit more but it is way worth it. A refurb mac book pro. Sweet. If all goes well I look forward to seeing it on my door step on Monday.

Cheers...