Is a replacement T-mobile phone from the Apple Store unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keatth, Jan 5, 2015.

1. keatth macrumors 6502

I got my original 5S from t-mobile and presumed its locked, I'm on a payment plan with $80 balance left on it as of today. Anyway, a month ago I got a replacement from the Apple Store, because of battery issues. Is this new replacement phone unlocked? Thank you.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

3. Paco II macrumors 65816

My understanding is that whatever state your current phone is when getting a replacement from Apple, so will be your replacement.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You say the original is locked so the locked status would transfer over to the replacement phone. Or is your question actually "Can the replacement iPhone be unlocked once you pay off the $80?"

5. keatth thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah is that a thing?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'll be able to request the unlock once it's paid off.

7. keatth thread starter macrumors 6502

can you sell a phone while its still under a payment plan?

8. nox5 macrumors 6502

it is locked to tmobile although when you activate it for first time with att sim it will work with att but eventually will relock back to tmobile after a ios reset. all att and tmobile apple replacements have US GSM activation policy until they are locked to your original carrier and sometimes it is not instant and takes few hours or 2nd reset of the iphone.

----------

you can sell anything you want

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yep. But it'll be locked until the balance is paid off, so you probably shouldn't advertise it as "unlocked," until that happens.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you purchase your iPhone directly from an Apple Store it will be unlocked even if it's on a T-Mobile EIP payment plan. Needless to say I'll never be purchasing an iPhone through a T-Mobile store again.

11. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

The activation policy transfers over so yes, it will be unlocked until its payed off.

12. keatth thread starter macrumors 6502

so I know everyone has been on the edge of their seats wondering whats going on with this phone and its payment plan, I paid the phone off and called t-mobile today to unlock it, they said I would get an email in 24-48 hours with instructions to unlock it.