Is a Screen film protector Necassary?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Johnny Backer, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Johnny Backer macrumors newbie

This is the case I have for my touch:
    http://store.apple-touch.com/content/accessories/4-22--3116.htm

I'm just wondering from people that have had their Touches longer, is a screen protector necessary? I'm talking about the thin clear film that goes over the screens.

I saw one person say that they don't use one and have accidentally toss change and keys into the same pocket as their touch and it still isn't scratched.

Since my covering has a hard front cover, do I even need to worry about a film over my screen?

I'm not one to keep it looking all nice as far as the case of my touch goes, but I don't want a scratched screen either.

I had to replace my old touch and I had a screen film on it, the one thing that disappointed me is that the film wasn't even the right size and it left a little on 2 sides of the screen that weren't covered. Since I had to replace the Touch, I lost my screen film and am wondering if I should even purchase another. If I was ever going to purchase another film, I would want it to cover the entire front of my Touch though, excusing the button.

Can somebody (who has had a Touch for a while) give me a feel for if a screen film is even needed... especially with the case that I have.

Thanks for any help.

2. EnTg888 macrumors member

With that flip case, I'd say you don't need a screen protector. As long as there's no sand or rocks in your pocket, it shouldn't scratch, and to me the screen protector feels weird to use. But, of course, I wouldn't throw it around caseless, either.:D

3. delude macrumors 6502

You probably wouldn't need one.
    I personally prefer to have a protector as it reassures me, and actually feels better whilst leaving less smudges.

4. invigorated macrumors newbie

invigorated

I'd use one. I don't care what gets scratched or beat up on my itouch as long as the screen isn't scratched up. The case will do a good job of protecting it but I found that I usually drop it when in use and if you drop it and the screen hits anyhing it's scratch time. It's not going to get damaged in your pocket or anything because it's pretty tough. You just have to prepare for those drops that are sure to happen. You'll have luck like me and drop it one time when you've got it out of the case.

5. Dikkers macrumors member

^hah, yeah, i've dropped my a few times taking it out of the flipcase i have for it :/

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have an iPhone in a similar style case.

I installed the screen protector that the case manufacturer included with the case.

I figure, if they gave it to me, they must want me to use it.

If you do decide to use it, make sure the screen is extremely clean.

A tiny piece of dust/dirt will show up as an air bubble.

My case came with a cleaning cloth to use before installing the cover.

It's you iPod, do what you feel comfortable with. ( if a scratch wouldn't bother you, than you don't need one. )

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I am exactly the same way...you can't really see it but know it's there...i have the anti glare protector inside a showcase and the iPod looks the same as the day i took it out of the box..i take it out of the case once in a while and wipe it off to prevent dust from building up...it's good peace of mind to have it on for me!

8. Antimatter macrumors regular

I never have seen the reason to have a screen protector on your iPod touch. My friends all left the screen protector that it came with on, and I say they are all stupid. I haven't had a screen protector on for the life of mine, since October 2nd, and there is not a scratch on my screen. Now if it was plastic, then that would be a different story.

9. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

The screen is glass. Youo would have to really try to actually scratch it. However, it might break if you drop it and it hits something hard. a screen protecter wouldn't prevent breaking.

10. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

I say "Yes"! Because I used to launch a thread of the same question, and one guy told me sand is the most dangerous enemy of the glass screen because it can't handle it. If some sand went into your pocket…………

I just bought an ordinary screen protector and that's enough, don't know the result of the anti-glare effect. My case is a Belkin Folio, it's not that nice but it's enough for me. Very difficult to find a good case for the Touch really