is a screen protector really necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by brijazz, Aug 1, 2008.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

With the iPhone having a relatively tough glass screen, is a screen protector really necessary? I have a case, but would prefer to leave the screen naked if I can get away with it. I sometimes put my phone into my pocket with my keys... is this going to scratch the glass, or is it tough enough to withstand scratches on its own? :confused:

2. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

I'm curious myself, I just got a cover for my iPhone and a screen protector was included but I'd no intention of putting any front cover on my phone, why bother when the screen is so resistent (and pretty).

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I have a screen protector on my iPhone. I use it to avoid scratches and similar damages.
    It depends on how you feel about it. My screen protector usually leaves a residue on my screen. But it's for the best. If you don't want to have one, that's up to you.

Check this video out. This will show you how durable your phone is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXlriABfOo

It's pretty funny. It's from PC World testing. :D

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I like to use a screen protector to cut down on the smudging.

Other than that, it's not really needed, unless you're carrying a pocketful of diamonds.

5. maddan macrumors regular

I had a screen protector (Power Support Crystal Film) for my iPhone. I absolutely loved it as it left no residue, and protected my screen without detracting from its "natural" look. I personally found it absolutely necessary to have a screen protector on the iPhone, and ordered the same protector for my iPhone 3G (which should be shipping today). It really is better to be on the safe side, no matter what. Also, I dropped my original iPhone on concrete and tile, and not a scratch on the screen (with the protector). One of my friends dropped hers on the ground, and it got all scratched up (sans protector), and not to mention, the screen cracked. So... yes.

6. Bodah macrumors regular

I thought that a screen protector was not needed, but I have a about an inch scratch in the face of my phone. The only thing I can think of is being in my pocket with my keys. Since then I got and invisible shield, and it pretty much hides it.

The face of my phone will not be uncovered from now on.

7. slapppy macrumors 65816

Better safe than sorry. Besides the crystal clear screen protector is so clear, you can't even tell its there. :)

8. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I have my iPhone 3G in my pocket with nothing else in it, and have no scratches. I'd get one if I knew a good, quality one to use.. but again, I'm horrible about applying those things. :eek:

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If the glass on the iPhone is the same as the iPod touch (which I believe it is), then yes, a screen protector is necessary. I have two big scratches on my iPod, and when closely examined about 6 small ones. I had my first iPod replaced because of a chip in the screen, and I have had scratching problems on both devices.

10. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

The only reason I put one on was to cut down on fingerprints and smudging, which it did. If that weren't an issue I wouldn't have one on at all.

11. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

It's not supposed to get scratched, and videos of people scratching keys on it are pretty convincing. But there's a whole bunch of people on these forums that will say otherwise.

Get a Power support crystal from the apple store, you can't even tell it's on there.

12. junebug1 macrumors regular

I've personally seen 6 iPhones with massive scratches or many many small ones. It's not easy to scratch the screen in my experience but at the same time it's also not all that difficult. If you are concerned at all about keeping your iPhone pristine than I'd suggest just putting something over it. Most of them don't detract from the original look so why not.

13. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Screen protectors are for the overly obsessive, like me :D

Keeps the resale value up for sure though.

14. T4R06 macrumors 65816

not really necessary, my 1st iphone is still flawless. now my 3G dont have screen protector. i am more concern at the back of the phone. i have griffin leather elan form also came with screen protector but i did not put it.

15. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Not necessary, unless you tend to drop stuff on your screen or like to keep it in your pocket with the keys. My first iPhone screen never got scratched.

16. jen4t25 macrumors newbie

Like someone said, better safe than sorry.
    I bought screen protectors from these people for my 1st iPhone & bf's iPod Touch & they are awesome http://stores.ebay.com/Top-Bargain-Center
    Then I bought one for my new 3G but then a day later I bought BodyGuardz so I haven't use the one from Top Bargain Center place yet so I can't vouch for the cut on the 3G. The quality was good & they last a good while, we've had them on for months & they still look brand new.

17. iVoid macrumors 65816

Well, since the screen is covered by glass, it's very unlikely it'll get scratched (although it can happen). Many other phones and pdas have plastic screen covers that really scratch easily and need a protector.

So you don't NEED it for protection, but it can help in some cases.

The only reason I have the DLO anti-glare screen protector is to lessen the fingerprints and keep the glare-o-matic screen from being unwatchable in certain lighting conditions (airplanes, outdoors, at woork, at home, you know...everywhere). (Yes, I really wish Apple would stop trying to attract customers with shinny (easily scratched) chrome and glossy screens that look awful to me).

18. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

YES!
    I took the iSkin screen protector off of my iPod Touch and put it on the 3G when I got it. Yesterday I look, and my touch has a very light scratch on the screen now. Once I get the revo2 on Monday, the screen protector thazt comes with it, goes on the touch.

19. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I too am of the "better safe than sorry" school of through. I have one (Power Support) on mine, not for protection, but for the anti-glare quality. If it happens to protect it too, great!

20. mrbc19 macrumors member

Those videos that show keys and knives attacking the iPhone screen don't really prove anything. It is not keys and knives that will scratch the iPhone glass, it is sand and other abrasive materials. Just one grain of sand rubbing on your phone in your pocket, or even just dragged across the screen once can do it.

So just never take it to the beach!

21. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Ive read a lot pf posts on here about people not using screen protectors and then they find a scratch and use one. What do you have to loose by using one? Just put one, there is nothing to regret.

22. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Is it necessary? No, it's not.

HOWEVER, by not having a case, and screen protector, you are leaving yourself at a much larger risk to get scratches, nicks, smudges, fingerprints, dirt, and dust on your iphone. Then, if you were to ever drop it, not that you would, but what if you did, imagine.....without a screen protector the screen could be all cracked or scratched up. With it, maybe the screen protector helps take some of the damage? Same goes with a case....

If you think you'll be fine without it, then don't get one.....

Personally, I know i'm not always as careful as I could be.... particularly when i'm out at the bar or something. So, I want all the protection I can get.

Do us a favor though, if you decide not to put one on, can you post on here in another 2-3 months and let us know how many scratches are on the screen? ;) j/k good luck man.

23. patd macrumors member

"Personally, I know i'm not always as careful as I could be.... particularly when i'm out at the bar or something. So, I want all the protection I can get."

You r talking about the iphone??