Is a screen protector really necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BoingoBongo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I've tried the Invisible Shield, but didn't like it, so I've been using the anti-glare protectors instead. It just seems like they get dirty after a while and I always end up botching a couple of them if I try to do a replacement.

Does the iPhone really need a screen protector, or is it durable enough to use without one?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's relatively durable but mine has a few scratches from a previous owner and I've seen some 3Gs already have scratches. I think it's essential.

3. ismoker macrumors member

ismoker

well, i think puting transparent covers over iPhone is just same as we put sheets over our mattress..just to keep it clean for longer time..

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yes, very necessary. I regret not having one on, as I have two scratches on the glass of my iPhone 3G.

5. justinreclicks macrumors newbie

you can replace lcd protector whenever, as many time as you want.
    it's not going to be so easy to replace iPhone glass as the protector.

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

With the correct size screw driver it actually isn't that hard to swap out the Iphone 3g's glass so if it bothers you that much look into it. I put a screen protector on the second I remove the device from the box.

I am extremely picky about keeping my screens in mint condition (naturally after I post this I'll probably drop my phone and shatter my screen), so I think that a screen protector is a given. Crystal films are not even noticeable, I mean why not??

I use a Power Support Anti-Glare as it does wonders for finger smudges.

7. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yes!...

In the jumble that is my purse...There are any number of things that could scratch it.

Granted, I bought the sena slim pouch to help for that very reason.
    However, for the two days that I was testing out a silicon cover...I tossed a nail file into my bag without thinking twice (I forgot it wasn't in the sleeve). I didn't even think about it scratching my phone until I got to work 10 min. later. Then in a scramble to make sure it didn't hurt it...I found it to have scratched just the screen protective sticker. Hallelujah!

I am so glad that I put one one...because in my super crazy life, there are so many "unknowns"

Hope that helped. :D

8. equlizer macrumors regular

i have a thick plastic one on my screen and thank god! A few days ago i had my iphone in my pocket (which i never do) and it fell out and i tried grabbing it with keys in my hand as well and made a nice large scratch (on the protector)

I got them off ebay, $3 for a pack of 3 inc shipping.

9. BoingoBongo thread starter macrumors regular

These are what I've been using and they are pretty great. However, mine had some kind of defect so I was trying to replace it and ended up messing all of the others up while doing so. Once dust gets on the sticky side, it's over. :(

But I guess in the end, I would much rather buy another $15 pack of screen protectors than deal with a permanently damaged screen.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Dust removes really easy from these. Take a piece a tape and put it on the screen to lift, then have another piece of scotch tape ready to just place on the dust speck. I do this all the time when I install these and it works great. What is the defect on yours?

11. equlizer macrumors regular

The best time to put on a screen protector is when you or your other gets out of the shower. The moisture in the air pics up 90% of the dust particles in the air. Mine went on without a hitch. I even took it back of once to re-align it with no probs.

12. BoingoBongo thread starter macrumors regular

The shower thing sounds like a good idea.

The "defect" was that one corner got crinkled and didn't look right. Totally my fault. I didn't even think of using tape to remove dust. D'oh!

Oh well. There's a fresh new protector on my phone and I've still got 4 left. :D

It's really interesting to hear what everyone else is doing with their screens. Lots of good ideas.

13. selena12321 macrumors member

It's not necessary but up to you how u use. If u r using very roughly then it's necessary to keep safe and clean. We know iphone is reliable but nothing is ther e which can't be damage anyhow so, in my view any type of protector whatever u like should be apply there.

14. jbode macrumors member

Although you don't need it and it seems to work better without it, I like to keep my iphone safe and clean especially the screen.

15. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

It's something simple you can do that you can't tell it's there that will keep it nice and clean and you know... protect it. Necessary? No. Smart? Yes!

16. stanfordtechman macrumors member

i think it is not bad idea to have some kind of protection on screen w/ spending about 20~ 30 dollars.... just dont be silly..

17. BoingoBongo thread starter macrumors regular

The DLO Anti-Glare shields from Best Buy seem to be really good. Plus there's 5 in a pack for less than $20.

I do feel better knowing that the phone is protected, especially if I accidentally put it in the same pocket as some keys or something.

18. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Pain in the ass to put it on though. I would really clean the phone first and try to set it on in a place with little dust. Key is to do it right the first time, or you'll be wasting them if you're a perfectionist like myself.

19. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I was so lucky...I was my genius's last customer and he put it on for me. :D

20. BoingoBongo thread starter macrumors regular

It is a pain to put on, but I found that if I put it on while the phone is in its case (a Griffin Nu Form), and use the squeegee that came with the IS, it's quite a bit easier. The case helps to align it straight and the squeegee easily eliminates air bubbles and whatnot.