Is a screen protector really necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by shinji, Oct 20, 2008.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I've tried one from case mate and one from power supply...I really don't like the feel and I always end up with an air bubble or two...usually not at the corners either so it's a bitch to press out.

Is the screen very prone to chipping/scratches? I would be keeping it in a cargo pocket without anything else in that pocket.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

the screen is glass anyway. so its less prone to scratches than a plastic screen. but i would put one on regardless anyway, it cant hurt. and if you keep your phone in the same pocket as any keys/coins, i would say its a must. the power support crystal screen protector feels like theres nothing on. the anti glare one you can tell its there but almost no fingerprints show up. i guess you need to do it more carefully because the power support crystal one i have was super easy to put on, if you're careful that is. no bubbles. and even if you have little ones. they usually go away after a day or 2.

but imo i think its a must on the iphone.

3. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Is there a trick to applying the Power Support Crystal? I was able to get it to line up and the screen was clean, but even doing it very slowly I got some bubbles.

Do you start with lining up the home button, or...?

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i started lining it with the ear piece/top. and you only peel off half of it to start with so you dont get fingerprints on the sticky side. if you look on youtube theres a million videos showing how to do it easy. its easier to watch a video then to explain in text.

5. larapumkin macrumors regular

try sgp steinheil
    imo it was the best lcd protector i've ever tried
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQs3-fFe1s
    its the review on this film

i don't think it is a must to have a screen protector, but i paid couple hundred bucks for the phone, and obviously i want to keep it clean for longer time.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Another point to make is that whether you get an antiglare or crystal film, it's a lot easier to clean an iPhone with a screen protector than one without. You can use almost any material without worry of scratching the real screen. The alternative would be to carry a microfiber cloth and cleaning solution everywhere with you. Not to mention it's a lot easier and cheaper to replace a film than it is to replace a screen/iPhone.

7. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

I just bought the Power Support crystal this time and had them install at the Apple Store. Looks great...guy did a much better job getting rid of the air bubbles than I did.

8. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I think they're definitely necessary. They're cheap, invisible, and give you some nice peace of mind.

I personally like the DLO anti glare protectors a lot more than the PS ones. They have a much nicer texture/fit.

Anyway, I have a Griffin Nu Form case, and putting the screen protector on while the case is on makes it really easy to align (this would also work with a Slider, and probably a few other cases too).

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have a replacement 1st gen. I got the replacement almost a year to the day of the release. The display stopped recognizing touch but the glass itself was totally fine. The replacement has a slight scratch that is noticeable when the display is off. I am sure this happened when I dropped it. I have never used a screen protector. Once a week or so I clean the display and thats it.

10. navigates macrumors 6502a

Best way to apply it without bubbles/lint is:

Use a bathroom with shower on for about 5 minutes till the room is steamy. this keeps the dust out of Air.
    clean using a microfiber cloth. They work really well. Use Windex to get the last bit of Lint off
    Begin with the ear piece part. Note: When opening the screen protector, reapply the back of the protector in a horizontal way and keep the alignment going till the ear and the button have lined up.
    Finally give it a little clean under the screen protector. (Note the back original backing is still on the protector) and position and place.

Hope this helps.