Is a Sleepimage File of 17.18GB Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrManwelo, Dec 3, 2012.

1. MrManwelo macrumors member

Trying to declutter my Macbook Pro Retina's SSD. Found that 22.78GB are being taken up in the 'Private' hidden folder.

In private>var>vm the total size of that folder is 21.47GB. The sleepimage file makes up 17.18GBs of this and 'swapfile's ranging from 0-7 make up the remainder.

My macbook has 16GB of RAM. Is it normal for this much space to be used up or can I clear it?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I came upon this:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/11/sleepimage-mac/

Seems normal, as big as physical memory, that's what that link says.

3. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

so if the sleep image should be around 16GBs, what are the remaining 4.29GBs used for?

4. simsaladimbamba

Swap files I guess. Do those files begin with "swap"?

5. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

yes, they are swapfiles.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You can erase this file and disable sleep image, saving you 22GB.

However, remember that when the battery goes to 0%, the MBP will "crash" from the sleep mode and you will lose anything you had open at the time.

To compensate for this, make sure you are never below 1% for the battery if you are using sleep a lot, like me.

When you see your battery is at 1%, run to the nearest charger and charge it, if you are going to delete the sleep image.

7. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Somehow you already answered your own question.:p

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not risky at all. You asked for advice, then you ignore it when it's given to you from a person who's had it disabled for over a year with no issues. What more do you want?

10. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

i don't want to my mac to 'crash' from the sleep mode. I'm always playing chicken with the battery just as it's about to die as the charger is normally miles away and I can't be bothered to get it! So for me, it would be risky, as I would hate for work and other open applications to be lost.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Not risky at all. I have my image disabled

I used the app chameleon ssd optimizer for this purpose (though you can also do it with terminal)

12. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

looks like an interesting app. I'll check it out.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

To sleep, your Mac's memory contents (probably virtual memory too) must be paged out to disk.

So yes, your situation is normal.

14. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Well, it has happened to me a few times and I can report back that nothing major was lost.

I personally can't justify using 22GB on a measily 256GB drive, I'd rather use that space for something else :)

Now if this was a 512GB SSD, I wouldn't mind the 22GB.

Also when you remove the sleep image, it wake's up instantly (much faster than it would have if you didn't erase the image).

15. scarred macrumors 6502a

I had the sleepimage off (followed instructions from osxdaily) on my air for the entire time I owned it. Only had a 128GB disk, so every GB counted (it was 4 in this case). I had no real problems at all.

I've left it on so far with my pro. I have 8GB ram now, so the sleep image is a bit bigger.

The reason to leave it on is not because you think your computer will "crash" at 0% (who cares, just don't let it go to 0%) but that you want to let your computer to go into "deep sleep". It is all rather confusing, but there is a mode that lets your computer clear out your ram (put memory to sleep too). You need the disk image for that.

You can safely turn off the sleep image if you need the space. It doesn't 'hurt'. Leave the other swap files alone.