Is a sleeve for macbook pro enough to protect it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caraherch, Jul 22, 2011.

1. caraherch macrumors newbie

I've been an apple/mac customer for quite a few years and this is my second macbook pro. I'm carrying it back and forth to school several times a day so it runs the gauntlet as far as traveling is concerned. My questions are- is a simple sleeve enough to protect my computer? Should I purchase a hardcase as well?

Also, I typically place my computer on top of the sleeve when I'm using it, to prevent dirt scratches on the bottom and (most importantly) so it doesn't sit in wet mug rings or the like (I use it at coffee shops a lot). Does this inhibit the cooling method of the device? Does it overheat when it's sitting idly (but on) in the sleeve?

ANY tips (including recommendations for maintaining the battery power, extending the life and capabilities, etc.) would be GREATLY appreciated. My last macbook ran fine but had some crashes, freezes, and eventually the dvd/cd drive stopped functioning properly after only 2 years. I took it in to Best Buy under my warranty and they ended up replacing it yesterday with this newer, stronger one.

Keep in mind, I'm a graphic designer so I'm almost always running huge programs such as Adobe CS5.

Many preemptive thanks!

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Lots of people say a sleeve is fine.

But that's not good enough for me, so I use both a sleeve and hard case.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on the sleeve. The booq Vyper is the best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve. In my opinion, it offers far better protection than any neoprene case, the zippers never come into contact with your MBP, and it looks great!
    [​IMG]
    Again, it may depend on the sleeve, but the vents are in the back, near the hinge. As long as you're not blocking those, you should be OK. It will get better circulation if you set it on a hard surface.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. Chiuy macrumors 6502

What I use is a hard case whenever I'm carrying to places incase I drop it.
    For scratch proof, I use vinyl stickers.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1190075

These stickers are almost scratchproof unless you scratch it with a knife/saw/etc. (but why would you do that?)

5. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I second that!

Booq Bags are some of the finest! Protection and Look-wise in my opinion.

6. caraherch thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it difficult for a MBP with a hard case to fit in a sleeve? Mine seems pretty snug as it is. Also, any suggestions for affordable/stylish/durable hard cases? I'm still iffy on the ventilation capabilities when my MBP is in the sleeve because the entire inside is lined in a fleece-like material.