Is a slightly bent lid reason to return?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cricketbird, Oct 24, 2008.

1. cricketbird macrumors member

I just ordered a refurbished Macbook Pro (pre-October model) from the Apple Store. It's beautiful and works fine. However, when I close the lid, the right side doesn't quite meet the base. You can fit about 18-20 sheets of paper in the gap. On the left side, it meets flush, with only about 1 sheet of paper to spare. This means there's a very slight "wiggle" in the lid as you can rock it left to right.

I called the Apple Store and they said it shouldn't be like that, and they would return it if I wanted. However, they also said it seemed a "cosmetic" issue and that it was up to me if I wanted to do the return/wait hassle for something "so minor".

So, I agree - nothing seems wrong and I'm not really worried unless it means that something likely WILL go wrong in the future, or if this is indicative of damage. So - what are your opinions? Is this worth returning? Or is it a minor blemish I can live with?

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

RETURN TIME! if you were able to spot it, then there is obviously something wrong 18-20 sheets of paper is quite a big gap. your laptop should be covered under warranty anyways, so might as well take advantage of it.

3. RHD macrumors 6502

That's really normal. If you leave the lid unlatched it will probably get better.
    Or you can close it and leave weights - books for example - on it overnight to straighten it out. There are whole threads here about this.

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

RHD is right. You can go ahead and return it, but its replacement will likely be the same.

Virtually every single macbook pro ever made had this issue, including my own. Also, as RHD said, there are tons of threads on this. Search for mbp lid and you should find them.

5. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Don't return it

I have a MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz laptop, and I had a similar gap problem when I got mine new out of the box. (That's always the time that people examine every part of their shiny new computer.) However, I heard it was normal and forgot about it until now. Well I just checked the gap, and it's gone! I guess the computer flexed itself back into shape over the 18 months I've owned it.

6. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Aluminium is great that way. I forgot my old powerbook was in my school bag once, and dropped the bag to the floor.

15 minutes with my brother and a rubber mallet and the damn thing was like new.

7. esphil macrumors member

Dude is this a repeat post of mine?...haha
    I got mine today as well and have the same problem!

8. osin macrumors 6502

If this is only a cosmetic issue and you don't have problem with it why bother with returning it and staying without computer for couple days... I will leave it, you will forget that anyway.
    If you will check my first posts you will find that I bought new Mac Pro in the store and the box was double taped. Meaning - somebody opened it. I could return it but I didn't have any problems with computer "so why bother", I said to myself, even though some people said to return it...

9. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

your brother or the laptop ?!?!??!?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

10. cricketbird thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks!

Well, after poking around more and reading old threads here and on apple's discussion pages, I think I'm going to just live with it. I don't want to be without a computer and I already sold my old one. It seems like lots of folks are living with this issue, and it really doesn't bother me. I didn't run across anyone saying "and now my screen doesn't work" or "it busted the latch" or anything. Thanks for the advice everyone :) You guys are wonderful!

11. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a