Is a SSD worth the extra $$$$

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grAntsOkO, Apr 7, 2011.

1. grAntsOkO macrumors newbie

I want to get a new mbp that will last me five years. Will a SSD help it last longer. I also want one for the improved performance and less noise. Is it worth it to burn a hole in my wallet for a SSD?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Kendo macrumors 68000

If you want it to last 5 years, how about purchasing a MacBook Pro with a standard hard drive, and 2.5 years later upgrade it with a SSD?

That way you will feel an immediate speed bump as soon as your computer starts to slow down. And can you imagine how large SSD's will be 2.5 years from now?

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Not to beat you up GGJstudios, but i personally hate your response when you respond like this, one of the biggest problem with the modern age is the lack of personalization, there are enough of us on these forums that we love to help people and give them that personal touch, to show we care.
    Dear OP
    It depends on your use, if you use lots and lots of storage and are a bit tech savvy then you can replace your optical drive with a hard drive, if you are tech savvy and dont require much hard drive space get a 3rd party SSD and finally if you aren't very tech savvy and require space just stay with a HDD. Do bear in mind once you have a SSD you will never want a HDD EVER again ;). If you really can't afford the SSD then just get a HDD.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How is it not caring to show the OP how they can find answers quickly, using a tool they may not be aware of? Some people come here and want to carry on long conversations. Others come here, looking for quick answers. Giving someone a tool to find answers is not an indication of a lack of personalization. The suggestion was posted for the OP's benefit, not yours. If my posts bother you, you are welcome to add me to your ignore list. There are plenty who appreciate them:

6. deadwulfe, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

He used to rub me the wrong way, too. Although, after spending more time on the forums and seeing more of his responses, I realized two things.

(1) There are a lot of lazy and/or self-serving/self-centered people who'd rather have others work for them by giving them the answers they could look for themselves and (2) GGJstudios is very helpful despite his posting style. Heck, I even copied him by putting MRoogle in my sig.

I've warmed up to his style since then. I get tired of people mucking up threads with simple questions already asked on the same page or the next page. It makes me wonder how people can find out about MacRumors forums, but can't find out they're not the first one to ask their question. I mean, MacRumors is a news type site with a little tab that says Forums. If they can make it this far and then register a username to ask the question, couldn't they just look a little more for their answer?

/rant off

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Yes. But... what are your uses/needs?

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I personally think he's the most helpful person on the forums. He consistently posts relevant information and often goes through the hassle of finding countless links that someone could have found themselves, but he goes out of his way to help. That's a whole lot of copying and pasting...

9. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

10. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Did you even understand what i said?
    For starters i stated i didn't mean to beat you up, you are a very good member of this board.
    Second, i just meant to say that i feel sometimes your a but blunt with people, not all the time.
    Third, i know there are lot of lazy people on this forum however i think threads like this are constructive they give the OP personal experience.
    Finally, thank you GGJstudios for your great links, i think you misunderstood what i said, i think i also said it when i was a little bit irritable wich probably didn't help.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

A SSD is probably the best upgrade you can get for a portable. As opposed to paying more for a slightly faster processor or RAM upgrade, many users get more bang for the buck out of a SSD.

12. Mafamaticks macrumors member

the threads that you could of pulled up by searching give the OP personal experience as well. Most of these threads come from personal experience.

Just saying.

13. sydenham macrumors regular

+1
    He knows his stuff. And he just took his own time to post the links for the OP.

14. usasalazar, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

usasalazar macrumors regular

usasalazar

Isn't it worth considering the entry SSD - that way the SSD hookups are already built into the laptop.

I know 128GB is not much space but if you could deal with it, say for another 2.5 years, you could be having an SSD experience the entire waiting time.

15. computertechno macrumors member

16. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

The answer would be yes, but you would be advised to choose a solid state disk that prefers reliability to performance. This requires an intelligent wear leveling algorithm, instead of forcing the solid state disk to operate at maximum performance.

17. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

SSD hookups? If you mean he's better off ordering it with an SSD, I would disagree. He will pay way more for it as opposednto buying it after and installing it himself.

And to answer the OP, if you can afford it, it will be the single best thing you can do to speed up your system.

18. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I disagree with those that say it's not worth it to upgrade. My wife's computer had a 80GB HDD which I upgraded to a 64GB SSD for under $100. She's not that concerned with performance and does not do any video editing or anything. However she immediately noticed the difference and was very happy with the upgrade.

On the other hand, I demand the utmost performance and consider myself a power user. I have a 1TB HDD and a 120GB Vertex2 in my MBP. I am very happy with this set up and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for performance. I spent about $300 for both drives and to me it is worth it.