is a USB dongle mouse 'hotter' than a BT one?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macintact, Jul 15, 2008.

1. macintact macrumors newbie

hi,
    i have a macbook core duo machine which has it's share of issues re: heat. Particularly in the summer time and during times of high CPU usage, the fans kick on pretty quick. I also run the Macbook frequently (exclusively when at home) with an external monitor attached.
    My question. Is there any reason to believe that a bluetooth mouse would run noticeably cooler than my current mouse which connects via a usb dongle?
    It may sound silly, but i get jumpy when the fans crank on a lot.
    thanks!

PS--am i the only one who thinks 'dongle' sounds funny? i can't stop saying it. dongle dongle dongle. there. i feel better now.

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

the only way I could think of that a BT connection would run hotter, is if there was lots of interference with the BT signal, and the BT in the laptop would have to bump up the amp for the signal. Though to be honest I have never really thought about this before, and its probably a toss up as to which (the BT chip or the USB chip) would produce more heat. Even if either produced heat, and you did not use either, I doubt the temps would drop enough to make any difference.

You could possibly do the thermal paste change out, or get a laptop cooler, but depending on the status of your thermal paste, it may not make any difference.

What temps are you getting? You could install istat pro http://www.islayer.com and see what your actual temps are, and then compare them to stats that have been posted here and other places to see where you are. Also ambient temps of the room or location will play a role in your laptop temps.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

neither are going to affect the heat of the machine significantly. a standard wireless mouse is only providing some power to a USB port, its not powering the mouse at all. using BT you have to have that running and it has to power up a receiver as well. i can't see either one changing much of the heat being generated.

4. macintact thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, mac gurus

thanks mac gurus for the answers. I was always wondering that and looking for ways to reduce the heat of the machine. it's definitely more of an issue when the ambient temps are up in the house because of summertime.
    :)

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

:confused:

Maybe PlaceofDis is a guru, but I don't think I am. I have lots to learn. But your welcome regardless. ;)