Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arielle0829

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
I'm debating whether to get a new MacBook Pro which is quite pricey or buying a used one and I really don't want to regret this decision as I am about to start college.

MacBook Pro, 13-inch Mid 2010, 2.4GHz, 250 GB for $350.

Is this worth or should I get a new one?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

iRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
I have the 2010 13" 2.4 MBP. Upgraded to a Hybrid drive ages ago as I wanted more hard drive space. Also upgraded RAM to 8gb
Im a keen photographer so use lightroom and photoshop on it, and its fine.
Its currently on Yosemite and runs perfectly well.

As long as you are not running anything too demanding, it should be fine. Hoping to get a few more years out of it yet!

MushroomMan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2015
Thailand
If possible, I would look for an i7 2011 onwards.

This would get you:

1. Ability to stream via Apple TV
2. Sandy Bridge processor
3. Upgradable to 16GB of RAM

And should not be that much more than what you originally were spending. You may even be able to sneak into a 2012 model (non-retina) and this would give you an Ivy Bridge processor and USB 3.0 as well as only being one generation-ish behind a relatively new one processor wise.

Always better to go brand new, but it is a lot of cash to splash.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
You have to know if this MacBook can deliver what you expect from it. "College" could mean basically everything.

If it's in a good condition then the price is fine, maybe upgrade with an SSD.
For normal office use, programming and stuff like that it'll be fine, for more heavy CPU crunching I'd get something more powerful.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
The '10 MBP can easily handle this. Just make sure it's in a good condition (espacially the battery).

New MacBooks definitely have some advantages, but if you want to save some money just go for this MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.