is a vpn what i need?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcrazyjj, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jcrazyjj macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

ok. so heres the run down.

i have a rather large media library on my home computer. (iMac)

i want to be able to access those files from anywhere i have an internet connection on my MBP.

if im sitting in the park cruising the interwebs. i want to listen to the music i have at home.

if im at school during my down time between classes. i want to listen to the music i have at home or even watch one of the episodes of House MD i have on my computer.

is this possible? can i do it for minimal cost? what do i need?

i have a Netgear WGT624 v4 router if that matters.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

VNC would let you see your machine at home, but you wouldn't be able to hear it. You could set your machine at home up to broadcast the music like how internet radio is done. I've done it on Windows though, so I'm not sure off-hand what software you'd use on Mac to do it. Maybe something like Live365.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

That doesn't sound very secure. The VNC password isn't designed to be secure enough to protect you from the entire Internet, and your transmissions aren't encrypted in any way. You could set up an SSL VPN using SSL Explorer. With this software I've been able to watch vlc movies, access files, log onto machines and even use VNC securely all from outside my home firewall. Unfortunately development on this stopped when they were bought by Barracuda. I've also done the same with an SSH VPN. Either option allows for cryptographically secure encryption and much moe sound authentication than VNC alone.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I didn't recommend VNC though, I said it wouldn't work. I actually misread the OP's VPN for VNC (guess that means about bed time), which is why I talked about it at all. I always use SSH with VNC when I need it to keep it secure.

5. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

i have no idea what you just had me download.

6. doox00 macrumors regular

7. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

yeah? lol.

all i want to do is listen to my music i have on my home computer when im not at home.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well I already told you about broadcasting. The other easy way is to buy a iPod.

9. doox00 macrumors regular

right.... so setup an ftp.. login and get what you want when you want. or setup a web server and web page and find a script that will let you stream your library online.

10. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

i guess i just figured there would be an easy alternative to this. a couple click there, some typing there, and im done.

and live365 is $10/month and i can only host like 200mb at a time.

11. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Then why would you download it? If you want a VPN, this is a free one. No VPN software is going to be one or two clicks to use. It is an advanced setup. This one does have tutorials on the Internet that show you how to set it up, but you do have to do some research to get it going.

If music is your biggest concern, I like angelwatt's idea to buy an MP3 player. It can be an iPod or some other brand if you don't like iPods. Then you can take your music anywhere you want.

12. fcamilleri macrumors member

one word. HAMACHI.

Its a very easy and relatively secure way to set up a VPN for that purpose.

Look it up on Chris Pirillo's list of 100 must have mac apps. (google that)

13. jcrazyjj thread starter macrumors regular

jcrazyjj

thats exactly what im trying to avoid. the purchase of an mp3 player.

thank you. ill look it up.

14. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

depending on how much room you have on your mbp you might just copy the music over onto it.