Is a Wii and MacBook a good trade for an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by binarypunk, Feb 20, 2008.

1. binarypunk macrumors newbie

**NOT A MARKETPLACE OR A SALE ADVERTISEMENT, just looking for advice**

I have been wanting a 24" iMac for some time now and decided I would try to trade my Nintendo Wii with Resident Evil 4, The Umbrella Chronicles, Wii Play, Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End, Zelda, Anubis II and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam with 4 controllers with chargers and my MacBook (2GHz, 1 gig, white) and someone replied on Craigslist with a 24" iMac (Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz 1gb memory, 250GB HD, SuperDrive, Eyesight)

So basically I am asking and more so trying to get assurance... this is a good trade for me right? I don't really know what older macs go for, not like this one is really old or anything.
    Also can you upgrade the video card on above iMac easy? This MacBook is the first Mac I have had since I was in the second grade playing around with the schools macs... but I guess those weren't really my macs anyway huh? Hmmm...
    lol

Thanks,
    BinaryPunk

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm no expert either, but I'd say that's a good trade, although that's a lot of games.

3. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

well, everything's only worth what you're willing to pay. if you think a 24" imac is more important than a macbook and wii, then for you it's a good deal, if the guy who wants to trade with you needs something smaller and/or portable and wants a wii, then it's a good deal for him too, and you're both winners.

4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

I'd sell the wii for 550 ish
    and MacBook for 1100

And then buy a 24" rehurbshed iMac for 1599

Instead of trading

(selling all the wii games separate will bring allot of cash

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If your MacBook is a Core Duo MacBook, then it's a good trade.

If it's a Core 2 Duo MacBook, then I don't think it's a good trade.

7. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

Keep in mind that's one of the older White models, not one of the newer aluminum ones. The 24'' ALUs come with 2.4 or 2.8 GhZ processors.

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Don't do it. That Wii is worth over $650, and your laptop at least 1000. With that money, you could buy a refurb 24" Aluminum imac at $1499, and spend the extra mulah on maxing your ram out, or coming close.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yeah if the iMac isn't the Aluminum then don't do it. Do what everyone else here has suggested; sell the Wii and Macbook and buy a refurb 24".

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'll echo everyone else and say that you would not be getting a good deal if it's not an Alu. iMac....

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well what are your needs, do you travel a lot? Then of course I would not think so and also besides playing on the wii do you play computer games? It's all based on your needs.

ChrisN

12. binarypunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I think I am going to go ahead and put them up on ebay and go for the refurb.... thanks for everyones input!