Is Accelero X2 the best Cooler?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by souzafeb, Jun 23, 2007.

1. souzafeb macrumors newbie

hello everyone, now that i flashed my Ati X1900 xt i'd like to know if the Accelero X2 is the best Cooler out there? 'cause every single forum i go they're talking about Accelero X2 or the X1.

Thanks!!!:apple:

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I put the Accelero S1 on my x1900xt.
    It is by far the best option because it has no fan and is completely silent. HOWEVER! If you are going to do any gaming, you must bump up the fan speed of your PCIe/HDD fan using smcFanControl

The great thing is that if I am going to boot in to Windoze to play a game, all I need to do is choose a setting I named 'Gaming' in the smcFanControl menu and reboot in to windows. It retains the settings until you power off the computer. So as long as you reboot in to windows... the fan speed sticks.

Even after having bumped the PCIe/HDD fan speed up, it is still quieter than the stock ATI cooler ever was.

3. bobpensik macrumors regular

Has anybody thought about or tried the Sytrin Vf1 Plus in their Mac Pro?? http://www.sytrin.com/3b-II-2-b.html it looks like it is an amazing cooler and is ranked higher then just about every other aftermarket cooler out there.

Articles i have read seem to indicate that it is pretty good.
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=497
    http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-87-page1.html
    There are many more if you search google

Does anyone out there have this product?? and if so how does it work on the Mac Pro with ATI X1900 XT?? Looks like a good cooler

4. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Wow that's a biggun!

I'm not positive it'd fit in the case.

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Btw:
    "Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?"

That was tom clancy

6. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I just bought a Zalman VF900-Cu off newegg.com

I'll let you know how it goes.

7. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

Best cooler if you don't mind hot air blowing directly in the Mac Pro. I have the Accelero X2 before, it does feel hot when I do heavy gaming on my Mac Pro. I'm using Thermotake Cooler now which blow air outside the Mac Pro.

8. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I thought about that one.. but the mounting hardware is too thick to fit under the card..

If you come up with a way to mount it... let us know for sure!

9. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Nah you're thinking of the 'thermalright v1 ultra'

the zalman is just a heatsink and fan that mounts in front (see attached)

Attached Files:

10. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Oh crap..

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      44 KB
      Views:
  11. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

maybe the screws from the stock cooler will work....?

something will work.. the hard part will be finding the right screws

12. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Maybe.

Dude, can I go ONE god damn upgrade without Apple's stupid elaborate case design screwing me over?

Seriously, just 1 upgrade please. Christ.

13. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

I've just ordered a Mac Pro with the X1900. Do I need to get an aftermarket cooling system? Is it really that loud?

Also what is the benefit of flashing the card and how do you go about doing it? :confused:

Bisous

14. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

If you're buying the X1900 from Apple, there's no need to flash the card (it's already been flashed). If you're buying it from elsewhere, you have to flash the card to get it to work in OS X.

As for aftermarket cooling, it's not technically necessary but it will improve functionality under high stress conditions--making it quieter and/or cooler (which can prevent errors or at least extend the life of the card).

15. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

Thanks dude, it's coming from apple (tomorrow hopefully :D ).

Is it worth getting a cooling system for games in windows?

16. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

use it for a few weeks and decide for yourself if the sound of the stock cooler bothers you or not. I am hyper sensitive when it comes to computer fan and hard drive noises... so I opted for a 3rd party cooler.

if it doesn't bother you, there really is no need.

17. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

It works!

I just had to put it in slot 2. Barefeats says it'll only result in a slight decrease in speed (maybe 3FPS in some games).

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work with the 7300 in slot 1 in windows XP. By that I mean no video in either card. It's probably a result of the way I had it setup before--with the 7300 off in device manager.

Still working on that.

18. skoorbevad macrumors member

That makes sense, but I have the same cooler. I didn't even get the stock one off before noticing that the VF900Cu fan plug won't fit the connector on the ATi board. I also don't know of an extra 3-prong connector that I could ciphon power off of anywhere else in the case.

What'd you do special?

19. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I put it in slot 2, for one thing.

The other thing I did was pull power from the Optical bay--something I had setup from a prior operation.

20. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

OK, so I bought the Accelero X2 and downloaded smcFanControl. When I use the card (UT2004) I can hear the fans come on as the heat builds up. This happens automatically. Why do we need to use smcFanControl in the first place and if you use it, what settings are best?

What about just adding a slot fan?

Edit: Just installed the Accerlor X2 not 5 min ago. I no longer hear a "Whoosh" when I turn on the Mac. I also found that there isn't much room for the slot cooler unless I remove the original stock card. I guess I wasted $7 on it.

21. Digidesign macrumors 6502

22. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

That's a good one. I love it. I have to remember that.