Is Address Book underpowered, or am I using it wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reubs, Oct 26, 2009.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm not a power user of the OS X apps by any means, but I do have a pretty substantial address book, and I like to keep each of the cards as detailed as possible. Setting up groups seems to be pain when smart groups *could* be so easy. For example, what's the point of having a "Note" section if I can't access those notes for making a smart group?

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm missing something about Address Book. Anyone else frustrated with it, or do I just need to learn to adapt my needs to what it offers?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think you're missing anything at all. I find the address book to be very simplistic and not capable of smart groups. If I'm wrong then so be it but in my experience as a user of the address book I've never been able to do that.

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I was frustrated as well and I went with Daylite

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Daylite is a good alternative. There are a couple (very few) great alternatives to mac's address book. I don't use them and would be curious to know if you can sync your iPhone contacts through them (that is assuming you use an iPhone).

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Nope, it's underpowered. It's not you, it's Apple.

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I don't have an iPhone but there is an app available which seems great...

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And that app's name is…?
    Or shall we guess? ;)

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Umm, I create Smart Groups based off what is written in the notes section of the address book entries all the time.

10. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Here's the thing...

I work at a church, and I have to coordinate a number of the different ministries we have here. Many of these ministries have acronyms for their names (LEM, EYC, etc). I put the ministries that different people are a part of in the Note section.

I go to create a Smart Group for LEM, and I get all of the LEM people, but lo and behold I also get folks in that smart group who are named "Salem" or some other name that contains the letters "LEM" in it.

Am I missing something on this simple feature, or is there no way to create a Smart Group using the contents of ONLY the Note field?

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, Change the setting from "Card contains ....." to "Note contains ........."

12. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Curse.

I opened that window up over and over and over, and I never saw that one sitting there at the bottom.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Now, I stand by my thoughts that Address Book is underpowered but not as underpowered as I thought.

Thanks again! :eek: