Is Adobe slowing my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Miqs, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Miqs macrumors member

Miqs

I am trying to clean up my iMac as it's struggling a little. In an idle state I notice in activity monitor that I have 2 entries both called "Adobe CEF Helper", one taking 28.5 mb (Intel) real memory and the other using 14.4mb (Intel 64 bit). Additionally I have Adobe Creative Cloud using 54.6 Intel memory. Is it possible to pause these and then manually update Photoshop, Lightroom, and Illustrator as and when I can? I have an iMac that is 6 years old running Lion OSX 10.7.5 and with only 2.5gb memory so I realise image manipulation with these apps is going to slow it all! The max memory my iMac will take is 3gb so I'm near to that. I have repaired permissions so is there anything else I can check?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's nothing else you can do, mate.

3GB of RAM is insufficient for what you're doing. You'll need at least 8GB, and even then, it'll be slow. That was the reason why I pushed my Sandy Bridge MBP to 16GB of RAM.

I think your only solution is an iMac upgrade. 6 years is a pretty long time already, and it's served you long enough. Besides, Lion is also know as Apple's Vista.

3. Miqs thread starter macrumors member

Miqs

Thanks yes I know it's all getting a bit long in the tooth. But it has to last sometime more as I can't afford a new one yet and in general terms it works ok. In respect of the above problem I have now disabled Creative Cloud from opening at login and did some housework on my iMac then a reboot in safe mode to sort it out and seems to have worked although I guess I shall always have to be patient when using Adobe apps in depth!