Is airplay only for the appleTV?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedarkhorse, Nov 22, 2010.

1. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I have an iphone 4, ipad, and a macbook pro. I can't find any way to airplay from any of them to the other. I don't get the airplay icon at all when I play a video on my ipad or iphone, on my computer the only airplay option from the icon is "computer". Running 4.2.1 and latest itunes/snow leopard

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

AirPlay seems to be very focused on :apple:TV2.. It supposed to work though on Airport Express and powered speakers that have this feature.

3. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Airplay doesn't stream from iOS to Mac, or from Mac to iOS, it streams audio and video from Mac/iOS to AppleTV2 (absolutely doesn't stream video to old skool AppleTVs, yet another case of Apple obsoleting perfectly good technology), and only audio to AirportExpress plugs, and to Airplay-compatible hifi equipment.

As far as I know!

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yep, that's an accurate summary. The reason it doesn't work with Apple TV first generation is that Apple are doing no more development on that platform and it uses a completely different OS / Architecture (x86 with cut down OS X compared to A4 and iOS).

5. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Does AP stream audio to those old AppleTVs? I ask because it DOES stream audio to AirportExpress plugs, some of which are about 5 years old.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No, it doesn't. iTunes will stream (audio only) to 1st gen Apple TVs but iOS devices don't.
    There are clearly some differences between AirPlay and streaming from iTunes (the other obvious one being iTunes supports streaming to multiple devices simultaneously), and this could be the reason AirPlay doesn't work to Apple TV 1st Gen. The other could be Apple deliberately crippling AirPlay to 1st Gen Apple TVs but if they were going to do that, I'd expect them to cripple it to AirPort Express plugs too

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Is there any way to emulate iOS 4.2 on a Mac to get Airplay?

I have a Mac Mini HTPC and an iPhone so I don't need the ATV. Would the Dev software allow this to work?

8. owen-b macrumors 6502a

What is it you're trying to do?

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'd like to be able to show videos I shot on my iP4 on my TV thru my Mac Mini without syncing.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's not going to work, even assuming you could somehow get AirPlay to work on OS X by somehow emulating the Apple TV through the iPhone emulator (which would be pretty much impossible because Apple have not released any AppleTV emulator images):
    AirPlay does not support streaming videos from your camera roll currently even to Apple TV 2

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I read in several places that it does if you play the video, double click the home button, and scroll to the left past the iPod controls. I haven't done it myself so I can't confirm or deny either way.

Shame that it sounds impossible. I wonder why they would leave Mac's out, especially the new Mini's with HDMI out? I don't have that model, but they have to know people are connecting them to TVs if they include the connection, and a Mini is like 6 times more expensive than the ATV. Seems like it and any Mac should have the functionality.

Ah, well. Thanks for the info.