Is AirPlay the Future?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by super tomtendo, Nov 20, 2012.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Hello,

Looking to buy either the bose or bowers & wilkins airplay system, but since they are of course expensive, I want to make sure if you guys think AirPlay is the future of music delivering.

I don't want to spend 500 dollars on something that will become obsolete in 2 years...

Is AirPlay the future? Do you think we'll see it around for a while?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No idea if it is "the future" or not but it meets my needs and I use it.

If you don't want to spend $500 and have an existing audio system with a line input then get an Airport Express. You'll only have to spend $99 for Airplay and can use your existing sound system.

3. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Yeah, but do you see this lasting long? How long?

4. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Get an airport express and put it on any system you want. Wireless streaming to network services is awesome. I've had expresses on my audio components for eight years and will only give it up when the next great thing comes along.

5. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Yeah, I have an extreme, but obviously, its not as portable as the express... although the new express is no longer a wall-in plug... it's now a mini extreme

6. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say that airplay will be standard, but I also wouldn't say that it won't be. Google is currently rolling out their alternative, so the niche must have some foothold. I'll agree with with previous posters, buy an AE.

My home is setup with an aTV, a MacMini and an Airport-Express. Currently enjoying multi-room synchronization, with individual volume control. All from my iPhone. LOVE my ecosystem. Even if the tech goes dead, You'll still have it.

7. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Unfortunately, I don't want a AirPort Express. I want the portability of these new AirPlay systems, so the AirPort is out.

8. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

oooh. I can respect that. At that point, I would say it becomes a personal thing. I would hope that the systems in question still feature some form of physical input, so I don't see it as a wasted purchase either way.

Just wouldn't spend 500 on any* audio system myself, but thats a financial issue, not principal. :eek:

*save for professional/commercial.

9. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Yes, both the Bose and Bowers & Wilkins have the input cable for other devices(Android).

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

I think Apple are going to be sticking with Airplay for a long time. Their constant drive to remove optical drives means the only way to actually watch your content on the big screen is AirPlay. Worth investing in.

11. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Thanks, that's a valid point I did not see.

12. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I purchased the Bose system and it's by far one of the best purchases i've made in a long time in terms of entertainment/electronics. The build quality is the best I've seen and the sound quailty is unsurpassed. Get it.

13. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Are you talking about the new bose airplay system? NOt the bluetooth

14. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

I don't think AirPlay as whole is the future. I think the ease of use of AirPlay is the future.

15. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

If you don't see yourself using iOs for the next 5 years then get the Bose system that uses bluetooth. It's wireless, its compatible with every smartphone on the market, and it WILL be compatible with every cellphone on the market for years and years to come. And you can use it with your laptop too. Airplay soind quality is not better than bluetooth, but it has MUCH better range (anywhere on your network) so that might be something to consider

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

Bluetooth is, in general, more of a hassle than Airplay. I have a bluetooth speaker and an AirPlay speaker, and if I want to use the bluetooth speaker I have to turn it on, wait for it to connect, and then it routes all the audio through the speaker, even calls. This is all after pairing, too.

With airplay, as long as you're on the network it's super simple to route only the useful audio through the speaker. It's a much easier system.

17. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Airplay is the present.
    The obsolescence of wires is essential and unavoidable. Every manufacturer out there will be looking for alternatives to the HDMI cable. Hence, unless Airplay becomes an open standard and is available to all other vendors, open alternatives will eventually be introduced that will render AirPlay obsolete.
    Miracast looks promising.

Hence, do what everyone here is telling you, get a $90 Airport.
    The hassle is that the speakers will have to be positioned next to your modem/airport corner.