Is Airport Express DEAD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BlueEagle, Feb 20, 2013.

1. BlueEagle macrumors member

BlueEagle

I was given an airport express (1st gen) the other day. I was told that it hasn't been used for awhile, so it may or may not work. I have never used one of these before so I could be doing something as well, but after plugging the ethernet in the unit and plugging the unit into the wall the light on the front comes on to green then changes to amber for about 30 seconds to a minute and then goes off. Also airport ultility does not see it at all while the light is on. If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back it the lights do not come back on unless I mess with the plug adaptor. Is the airport dead or could it just be a bad connection in the power adaptor?

Sorry for asking such a stupid question but im lost on this one. Thanks in advance.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Have you tried resetting it ? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4123560?start=0&tstart=0

3. BlueEagle thread starter macrumors member

BlueEagle

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

i've had the prongs go bad on those adapters, if you have a apple laptop or an ipad, you can pull the plug off those and try it (or borrow one from a friend) (the version with the cable on it will work also)
    especially with the weight of the express hanging on them, and the possibility of being hit, they can go bad.

i'm not sure if you can buy the cable or plug separately.

5. BlueEagle thread starter macrumors member

BlueEagle

I do have my cables from my old iBook G3 snow somewhere at my parents still. If the reset doesn't work I will try that cable and pronge out on the airport. Thank you.

6. BlueEagle thread starter macrumors member

BlueEagle

Well the reset didnt seem to resolve the issue, I will try the new power cord this weekend if that doesn;'t work I think its dead in the water. Thanks for the help though guys.