Is Airport Express my best solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adam-green, Feb 3, 2012.

1. adam-green macrumors newbie

I'm about to depart on a round-the-world trip in which I'll be staying in backpacker hostels at least sometimes. I've read about WiFi extenders (usually antennas) that you can hook up to your Mac to boost a weak wireless signal – usually these are signals that are barely close enough to register without the extender antenna.

Will the Airport Express do this as well? If I buy the Airport Express, can I plug it in inside a hotel room and pick up an otherwise weak wireless signal at a higher speed? Or would that require me to leave the Airport Express next to the actual modem and plug in with an ethernet cable? I'm confused about its functionality. Basically, I want something that can boost a weak WiFi signal, and I'm wondering if the Airport Express is it.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

for you to extend a wireless signal, the main base has to be from apple, and it has to be set up for it to extend, so getting that working is doubtful.

although, the express will join a signal, and then share it out of the ethernet port. so you could have it join a signal and then run an ethernet cable to your laptop.

your best bet would probably be a good quality USB wifi adapter, and a USB extension. I've done that before, so i can put the network adapter in the window.
    in a quick search, i found this
    do your research before buying, i have no experience with this product.