Is Airport Extreme right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cattywampus_, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

I am looking at buying an Aiport Extreme. This will replace:

1. A Windows 2000 Server machine acting as internet gateway
    2. Replace a Linksys 54mbps Wirless Access point
    3. Possibly replace a Netgear GS108 8 Port Gigabit Switch

Now - the Server I think is now redundant as I don't actually use it for anything anymore other than internet gateway. Waste of a computer. I take it that I can set port forwarding up using the Aiport Utility so that I can give certain apps on my computer full access to the internet (i.e. run a server process)? And the AEBS acts as a firewall between my computers and the internet so I don't need to configure any firewalls on my computers?

Secondly, Obviously the wireless speed is faster. My Macbook, Macbook Pro and ATV will benefit from that as they are all draft N (the Apple TV does have 802.11n right?). So I can push speeds of 5-6MB rather than the typical 2-3 on g. What is the reliablity of the signal? Any known problems?

And finally - the gigabit ports. My Macbook Pro and Windows machine are wired so I can achieve up to 50mb/sec using my GS108. Is the gigabit switch part of the AEBS up to the latest standards? Again, any known problems?

The Apple website says 1 Gigabit port for WAN and 3gbit LAN. Can the 4th port be used for LAN as well?

Can I link my GS108 and the AEBS using one of the ports one each unit - to give me more ports?

I am also connecting a Virgin Media Motorola SB4100 cable modem to it. I currently connect it using the RJ45 connection. Will this connect ok or does the modem HAVE to be a USB modem? I am sure it works on both ports but just incase.

I think that is all my questions. Many thanks for your answers.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Yes. The Extreme needs to be restarted after the configuration has been changed though. Not really a problem if you configure port forwarding and stick with it, but annoying if you want to modify the settings often.

The AppleTV is 11n, yes. For real world speeds, 5-6MB/s is no problem in my setup at least. If you get 2-3MB/s with G, you probably will get great speeds with N too.

I haven't experienced any reliability problems with the signal or connection.

Absolutely not if you want to use it as a firewall/router.

Yes, just connect it to one of the three LAN ports.

Actually, the modem mustn't be an USB modem. Ethernet is what's needed.

3. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your answers.

How long does a reboot take? Do you have to physically restart it with a switch or can you restart it from the computer?

I haven't experienced any reliability problems with the signal or connection.[/QUOTE]

When transfering to my ATV from my Mac it typically goes between 2400-3000KB/sec. So will hopefully get some nice speeds with this :)

Do you mean cause there would be no way to connect it to a modem via Ethernet? So what you mean is - you can not use a USB modem with the AEBS?

Excellent! :)

To reiterate the above reply - you can catagorically confirm you can't use a modem through the USB port?

Many thanks.