Is Airport Extreme's better than a standard netgear router ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by raymondkerr, Sep 3, 2009.

1. raymondkerr macrumors regular

I have an iMac and a PC both connected to a Netgear 802.11b/g wireless router. I only currently use ethernet for the mac and PC. I also have a PS3 and iphones which I use on the wireless when in the house.

Would I benefit anyway in upgrading to an Airport Extreme ? I have an 8MB ADSL Broadband line get get consistant speeds of about 7.5mbps.

Just wondering if there are any other benefits to having an Airport extreme, I suppost the USB port would be handy for my printer, but I only ever really use it on the iMac, and don't really have much need to print from my PC - I only use the PC for gaming.

Thanks
    Raymond

2. pprior macrumors 65816

Other than the new wake on lan with SL, probably not.

Ease of use and setup is nice with AE and other apple products, but if what you're using is already setup and working fine I wouldn't spend the money. It won't be faster, if that was the question.

3. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

In terms of ease of use, yes, Airport Extreme is enormously preferable to Netgear or Linksys routers.

When I first replaced my Linksys wireless router with an Airport Extreme, the setup was so easy I felt certain that it wasn't done right. With my old Linksys, every week or two I would have to pull the power cable, put it in time out, and then power it back up again because it would deny service to one of my Macs. I have never once had to do that with my Airport Extreme.