iPhone Is all tethering equal?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Pinkstiletto66, May 17, 2013.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Data wise if I tethered to a computer or iPad would the amount of data be the same whether its the same movie, or if its more or less pages open? I'm on a limited amount of day and if for some reason is save data on an iPad I would rather do that. Thanks in advance.

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

Yes.

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I don't think this is accurate. The ipad will use a lot of mobile webpages and thus use less data that a pc.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

Huh? What's coming down from the website doesn't change based on the receiving device. Yes, it will be formatted differently, but that's not going to add significantly to what's transferred.

5. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I've heard otherwise. The foxnews website for instance that you would view on a pc will use more data from the iPhone while tethering then say the mobile version you would see on an ipad. Won't it?

6. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah, different websites react or push pages different depending on what device you're on. Unless you force desktop mode for all the websites across all devices.

With comparing the iPad and laptop. You have to understand that there is "real" multi-tasking with a computer, where you can have multiple programs running. For the iPad (including iPhone) there really isn't "real" multi-tasking.

Such as right now, I have the twitter application on my macbook pro open while web-browsing. The twitter client on my macbook pro is constantly pushing new tweets to me that are appearing on my timeline, even though my main focus is in Safari, while I have another Safari window streaming video. On the iPad, if I put the twitter client to the background, while my main focus is in the Safari app. I would not be getting new tweets in my timeline pushed to me constantly. I may get a notification if I'm mentioned in a tweet, but that is totally not multi-tasking. And I definitely wouldn't still be getting a streaming video from "window" of Safari (maybe audio, but not video)

7. gngan, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Given the website is pushing the SAME version then the data will be the same. But websites tend to have mobile and desktop version therefore the mobile version uses less data because it's usually less 'rich'.

So to answer OP, it's the same unless there's different version of the site.

Why are you bringing multi tasking into this? No one mentioned about it and you are explaining it when no one is wrong/misunderstand/asking it.

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks all. I did find the multitasking post very informative. So in a nutshell like PP said it depends on if it's mobile version or not. Makes sense. Thanks again :D