Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theprizerevealed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
I downloaded a few wallpapers from the website allmacwallpaper.com for my desktop wallpaper. However, today while perusing their site I noticed that a wallpaper I download just yesterday is no longer displayed. Is it possible to embed malware or viruses into the image? Does anyone know the reputation of that website? thanks

shftoptk

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
USA
no, you are fine. If you are right clicking and choosing "save image" then you are okay. Wallpapers that you would want to save will always be a .jpg or maybe .png extension. What you don't want to do is download zip files full of "wallpapers" because you never really no if anything else is hiding with the wallpapers.

I know some of the lesser-known wallpaper websites will use some sneaky javascript to overlay some bad stuff over the image so when you try to click on it, you'll be sent to somewhere you don't want to be. But allmacwallpaper is legit. If you are still worried, you can use browser extentions to temporarily deny JavaScript on a site and/or use ghostery/ublock orgin/etc.. You can also download a program for OSX called Malwarebytes, which will find and delete anything suspicious.

theprizerevealed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
what about with iOS 9.2.1? If you click to save an image, could you be tricked into downloading some malware? I've had some malicious sites try to redirect my browser and take control of the printing function on the browser, I was forced to kill the browser and reopen it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
what about with iOS 9.2.1? If you click to save an image, could you be tricked into downloading some malware? I've had some malicious sites try to redirect my browser and take control of the printing function on the browser, I was forced to kill the browser and reopen it.
iOS doesn't download some sort of executable files like that and things essentially don't get installed in iOS outside of the App Store (of course this all talking about non-jailbroken iOS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.