Is Amazon->Kindle for Mac->calibre->PDF Workable?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Partron22, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Partron22, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Amazon has a book I'd like to have in both physical and Kindle formats.
    I have no Kindle, but the book would be much more useful to me in an electronic format.
    Apparently I can download and read the thing on my Mac using Kindle for Mac.
    But That's yet another App I'd need to have open while working.
    I'd rather everything were in pdf.
    Now if I can get to the file, I think calibre will handle the Kindle->pdf transform.
    But that leaves the question: Can I pull a Kindle formatted item out of Kindle for Mac?
    If so, how?
    -I'm hoping the answer here is as simple as "copy the item from your 'Kindle docs' folder", but with DRM and such, I'd like to be certain of this before downloading.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There is DRM that is preventing this from working. Even if you got it out of the Kindle for Mac app, you won't get Calibre to convert it for you. Now, that being said, there are methods of removing the DRM from Amazon files; but that would be illegal.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

And you won't get any help here with breaking the DRM.

4. Partron22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Partron22

Oh well. Thanks.
    It should not be this complicated to buy a book in a useful format.
    I guess I'll buy a physical copy, and put another nail in the coffin of the boat anchor industry.

5. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

There are other bookstores out there that offer ebooks in other formats. Often the publisher will sell eBooks directly, usualy in ePub or PDF format. Amazon has the widest selection, but they aren't the only source for eBooks.

Also, Amazon Cloud Reader would let you open the Kindle book in your browser. Maybe that's as good as Preview/Reader?

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You'd have to have another app open anyway, and the Kindle program is pretty good.

And yes, using the Kindle Cloud Reader means you can open books from Amazon up in whatever browser you happen to favor.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Here's why:

B