Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbeechey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just wanted to ask as I'm looking into getting an apple tv 2. I have a mac book pro 13" and want to stream video from my mac book to my tv. I know you can get cables to connect them up but I don't want to mirror what's on screen I just want to be able to play video that's on my mac book as if it where on another screen.

So is an Apple TV the only option are there other options that dont need you to use itunes. If possible I want to be able to close the mac book also.

Thanks for all the help

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just wanted to ask as I'm looking into getting an apple tv 2. I have a mac book pro 13" and want to stream video from my mac book to my tv. I know you can get cables to connect them up but I don't want to mirror what's on screen I just want to be able to play video that's on my mac book as if it where on another screen.

So is an Apple TV the only option are there other options that dont need you to use itunes. If possible I want to be able to close the mac book also.

Thanks for all the help

Yes, the WD TV Live is one of many.

MuggleReviewer

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2010
Cambridge, UK
If you're looking to play content purchased through iTunes the apple tv is the only option. If you want to be able to leave it closed I believe you can enable wake for network access but I'm not positive. But you can always leave MacBook open and turn the screen off:)

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
The PS3 is an attractive option. You can stream a wide variety of formats from a mac and/or pc, has a blue ray and of course plays game. In my opinion the interface is not as sleek as the ATV, but it has lot's of capabilities. I have both the PS3 and the ATV but mostly use the ATV for my viewing needs....

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
The PS3 is an attractive option. You can stream a wide variety of formats from a mac and/or pc, has a blue ray and of course plays game. In my opinion the interface is not as sleek as the ATV, but it has lot's of capabilities. I have both the PS3 and the ATV but mostly use the ATV for my viewing needs....

Is the PS3 still the cheapest BluRay player on the market?

imotionb18

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
I have both an apple tv and ps3. The apple tv is set up in my living room for my wife and daughter(mostly). I have my ps3 in my office. If I had to choose between the two I would go with my ps3. I hate having to convert videos to watch the on the atv.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I have both an apple tv and ps3. The apple tv is set up in my living room for my wife and daughter(mostly). I have my ps3 in my office. If I had to choose between the two I would go with my ps3. I hate having to convert videos to watch the on the atv.

Jailbreaking it would be a cheaper option ;)

imotionb18

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Jailbreaking it would be a cheaper option ;)

That's true. I had my ps3 first, so I just haven't had the need to jailbreak my atv. Airplay + airvideo works great for me. I probably will end up jailbreaking it at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.