Is an external hard drive needed ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goohfy, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok, I had a thread about my slower Dell Inspiron 1545 , which I have no idea why it began to break down after only a year. I stated that I may also be upgrading to a MacBook later this year, but my question is , will an external hard drive really be worth it, and will it help keep up the speed and performance of my machines, possibly fixing this damn dell.

2. Noisemaker Guest

:confused:

Why on earth would an external hard drive speed up anything? If you need a ton of storage, a backup drive (say for Time Machine, extra music/videos/etc), or just want some insurance against hard drive failure, get an external drive.

But buying one and hooking it up to the Dell or a new MBP isn't going to do anything to make them faster, and it certainly won't fix a year old Dell that's breaking down.

I've yet to buy a PC notebook that has lasted for over a year. It seems like the day that year warranty expires is when they break down. Hard drive failure, hardware issues, etc. That's why I switched to a Mac, which has been going strong since I got it.

Take the money you'd spend on a hard drive and put it towards a MBP. It's a much better investment, as I guarantee the Dell will only get worse.

3. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

This is completely true, and I've just been hoping that the Dell would get better, but I will be buying a Macbook this year sometime, thx for the comment, I'm glad I know I'm not the only one :p .