Is an HDD Replacement a "While you Wait" Repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvdhsu, Jul 14, 2010.

1. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Title says it all.

Is replacing the HDD normally a while you wait repair?

If it helps, this is a unibody late 2008 15" MacBook Pro.

Store I'll be going to is the huge one in Beijing.

Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It should be. You might consider saving the money and doing it yourself. All you have to do is flip the latch on the bottom, take that panel off, undo a couple screws, unplug the drive, then do the reverse for the new drive. Only thing needed that you might not have are a couple small screwdrivers. But if you want to just do it in store, it should take them all of 10 minutes.

3. dvdhsu thread starter macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I'm under Applecare, so it wouldn't cost me anything.

I'm also in Beijing on a trip, and I won't be back in the states for a month, so it would be hard to get my hands on a Momentus XT, which is what I'd want if I were to do it myself.

What I'm worried about is them not having the part in-store, and having to order it.

This is a custom built, 250 gigabyte 7200 RPM drive... so that might be a problem.

One more question: My HDD has some bad sectors, it's just dropping information like crazy right now. How should I verify this to them in-store?

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

If they don't have your exact drive in stock, Apple has been known to simply upgrade you.

Good Luck!

5. dvdhsu thread starter macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Really?

Just wondering, but where did you hear this?

That's great news, thanks!

6. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Personal experience and those of friends and colleagues. When it comes to hard drives, most Apple stores are not very stingy - if they don't have a 250 GB 7200 RPM in stock, they probably have a 320 7200 RPM one which they can replace for you. It would probably be cheaper for Apple to give you an upgraded hard drive than it would be to ship the computer off to a service center or order the specific part and perform the repair on site.

By the way, if they don't offer to upgrade your drive, no harm in asking them to replace it with a drive of better specs that they have onsite.

7. dvdhsu thread starter macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

That's awesome, thanks, I really appreciate it.